The (un)official single speed thread....

rock

My wording was perhaps insensitive to those that single speed purely to reminisce and disillusion themselves of their lost youth full ability.

Does the phrase make up the entire paragraph for you ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I started single-speeding I was also a scuba diver. Of course I then discovered free-diving. Freediving is to scuba what ss is to cycling...I guess I like the simple stuff that challenges me a bit.

How on earth do you train your lungs to hold your breath that long.

Awesome athletes these free divers.

It's got nothing to do with "lost youth full ability". It reminds me of the BMX era back in the day, i had a great childhood and it brings back good memories when riding my ss. Simplicity.

marketing and image is strong in modern singlespeeding.

Most people building single speeds and posting it here are doing it because of media and peers.

Most peoples single speeds are not their main whips.

Modern single speeding is not evolved from your youth 30years AGO.

more recently inspired by bike messengers.

A "cool" club of hip society that are "risky" and "unconventional"

there is an image attached: The hair the cap the unmatching wheels the lo pro the three quarter pants the messenger bag, the tats, the scratched steel frame and stickers.

Some have elevated it to discs and really expensive hubs and saddles and exotic frames.

Its big money and big business for bikes shops to stock the right RETRO stuff.

Its cool.

Its competitive, with polo and standing

Its social with group rides.

It certainly isn't just about my old bmx.

How on earth do you train your lungs to hold your breath that long.

Awesome athletes these free divers.

It's really about relaxation and training your body to use the oxygen efficiently. Of course it can become quite technical with techniques that one uses to safely load as much O2 into your body as possible. Some of the best divers can hold their breaths for up to 10 min or more! Thee are elite athletes that train very hard - my PB breath hold is just over 3 min (I have a long way to go!)

In many ways I guess SS riding is similar, training your body to maximise momentum and use energy efficiently.

marketing and image is strong in modern singlespeeding.

Most people building single speeds and posting it here are doing it because of media and peers.

Most peoples single speeds are not their main whips.

Modern single speeding is not evolved from your youth 30years AGO.

more recently inspired by bike messengers.

there is an image attached: The hair the cap the unmatching wheels the lo pro the three quarter pants the messenger bag, the tats, the scratched steel frame and stickers.

Some have elevated it to discs and really expensive hubs and saddles and exotic frames.

Its cool.

Its competitive, with polo and standing

Its social with group rides.

That's how you see it. My view is totally different.

Did not want to sell my Fuji frame, sentimental value.

Fuji and I have a history going back 5 years.

Used all my old parts to build it up, so there's no bling aspect.

Keeping cost down as I do not have to fork out money on servicing cost that often.

Forces me to ride hills with the gearing i have.

Appreciate my Morewood on race days.

Riding my Morewood less = saving on servicing.

Eggsovereasy, don't get jealous just 'cos some of us had a much cooler childhood when we could go do risky, unconventional things like ride in the streets of Joburg after sunset, or take our (road) single-speeds through Delta Park when it was still a disused sewerage farm.

You are pulling the entire thing out of context, the entire little paragraph raises quite a few other enjoyable issues.

It actually attacks the image driven professionals and individuals.

I am actually quite shocked at your approach here, I have only come to know you as quite a jovial and jesty kinda individual, but anyway's good luck.

I think we all have our own reasons and motivations for riding SS - and some may or may not also ride geared.

If you like SS for whatever reason, good for you.

If you do it to be cool, that's awesome cos it makes you feel good.

If you do it to get stronger, fantastic.

If you do it for the simplicity and affordability, nice.

If you do it cos you only have a BMX, well good luck saving for a big bike, but until then, keep having fun!

Just ride.....

I forgot to add.

I was in San Francisco, I was fortunate enough to mix with this group/stereotype you mention here.

Yes you paint the perfect picture of who they are, what they look like etc.etc.etc......

But you are seriously confusing Fixie riders with MTB singlespeed riders.

It's really about relaxation and training your body to use the oxygen efficiently. Of course it can become quite technical with techniques that one uses to safely load as much O2 into your body as possible. Some of the best divers can hold their breaths for up to 10 min or more! Thee are elite athletes that train very hard - my PB breath hold is just over 3 min (I have a long way to go!)

Hats off to you guys.

+ another great thing about ss.

Riding in muddy conditions almost every day now with all this rain, i do not need to service or change the drive train every time I've finished a long ride or after a couple of days of riding. You just go full steam through the mud pools, have no worries and after the ride, hose her down and she's ready for the next ride. You see, S I M P L I C I T Y.

^ what a load of sentimental crap: "sense of childhood????"

i like the quote.. i miss my childhood days...

everything was simple.. even cycling!

relationships, pocket money.. what glory days..

i enjoy the thought of of my future SS build..

life is overcomplicated enough.

Edited by Renier82

Hey, I not reserving judgement for fixies or single speeds; or for street bicycles or MTBs

Hey I dont wear a t-shirt that says "death before derailer"

Just because one gear is a fun variation for a jaunt or commute, and a change from the usual bike, doesn't mean its a nostalgic affair giving me a sense of childhood. Fun is just fun. Fun isn't reserved for kids. You dont need to justify your elation on a single gear that hard.

Its just as easy to reverse the quote for the opposing school of thought: for goodness sake, those people out there who ride singlespeeds claiming it's the new revolution and romantic and mushy and evocative of a sense of childhood, get over yourselves, it's called cycling."

I ride my SS coz it makes me stronger. I ride fixie coz it makes me think ahead. I ride MTB coz I love it. I ride road coz I have to. And YES, I do wear my race shirts to work coz I'm proud of it. I run coz it strengthens my resolve. test's my commitment.

I get my Wife and kidz to ride coz it's good for them. there is more to be learned from cycling than going around on your bike.

Hey, I not reserving judgement for fixies or single speeds; or for street bicycles or MTBs

Hey I dont wear a t-shirt that says "death before derailer"

Just because one gear is a fun variation for a jaunt or commute, and a change from the usual bike, doesn't mean its a nostalgic affair giving me a sense of childhood. Fun is just fun. Fun isn't reserved for kids. You dont need to justify your elation on a single gear that hard.

Its just as easy to reverse the quote for the opposing school of thought: for goodness sake, those people out there who ride singlespeeds claiming it's the new revolution and romantic and mushy and evocative of a sense of childhood, get over yourselves, it's called cycling."

Did you actually read the other paragraph properly, I doubt it.

You really had a *** day, you are agreeing all the way but fighting the childhood memory comment tooth and nail, hope you have a better dos tonight and come back tomorrow as the eoewtat we know, currently you are a boiled egg who is rambling senseless, lekka slaap.

Edited by Dangle