MTB drivetrain - what to check/replace

NotSoBigBen

Must be those damn Italians, you know what they say Campag wears in Shimano wears out?

Not that I actually agree but hey, you never know.

I remember reading something from a Shimano guy, he was saying that when everyone started moaning that their chainrings started wearing out prematurely was around the time they introduced 11-32t and 11-34t cassettes......

everyone just rode in their middle ring all day......

Agree - start with chain and see. If that doesn't sort it out move to cassette + chainrings.

IMO the new SRAM chains are suffering form some sort of quality control issues and I've moved back to Shimano. The SRAM link works just fine with shimano.

XT and LX are chainrings both aluminium (lighter but wear quicker) except for the LX small ring which is steel and lasts longer. Not much diff between them otherwise. If you want them to last longer than 6 months get a steel one (deore, blackspire) or perhaps RF or Middleburn.

Expensive damn hobby this.

I had the same problem on my XT just before the Alps. Replaced new chain and cluster and it was slipping... replaced middle chainblade... problem solved.

XT middle blade only lasted 8months but the big & small blades are still going... gees,  hope we don't get mud this weekend coz then I'm gonna eat these words (chainsuck)! Cry

The

result of the wear will be what's known as chainsuck' date=' where the

chainring "grips" the chain and tries to force it around the middle

blade. It is not as a result of chain wear.

[/Quote']

So chain done' date=' no luck Cry

[/Quote']

And I bet putting that new chainring on solved the problem, didn't it  Wink