Epic Mechanics

die skim

Well done Hubbers for supporting Mark's Bike Shop. I sheme SKIM should have been specific! We were a tech support team at the Epic and we had a great time. We officially looked after two teams - one for free (regular customers) and one team paid (too little to quote). Over the week we ended up looking after 10 teams and lots of uncontracted individuals - locals and foreigners. All great guys. We are a small, newish LBS and we were there to look after our two teams and to learn. If the job was beyond our expertise (or our available resources) we simply did not take on the job (this happened rarely). I hope we don't have a bum rap from someone - it would be unfair as we did not have a single complaint. We loved the experience - there were at least 2 riders that would have been out of the race but we got them going again. Bottome line - we looked after our riders and we learnt a lot and the beers and partying were legendary! Well done to all the Epic participants - finshers and non- finishers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MY bike ran smoothly through out the whole epic, except for the chain lube and my dicbrake squaking. as for the bike wash. .  did my own bike.

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to be able to service a bike. for the ammount some riders paid to have people looked after their bikes thay can buy a book and learn the basics. Hell you can even buy a set of basic tools.

I also dont get it. Every mountain biker should know how to perform basic maintanance on his bike. Checking and cleaning the bike after every stage wont take you 15 mins.

If you're serious enough a mountain biker to ride the Epic' date=' you should at least be able to adjust/setup the gears, change the crank/cassette, take your bike apart, service your fork...

I can't see why anyone would need a mechanic if they are just a little bit interested in the mechanics of their bike...

How hard can it be to take a few tools with?

Cassette tool,

External BB tool,

Spoke wrench,

Cable cutter,

Allen key set,

With just this you can take almost everything apart...

Add a few extra tools and I can do a fork overhaul in 30 minutes...

But you really should overhaul your fork before the race...

[/quote']

Why?

I can do all that, but after 6 hours of riding, I don't feel like doing that. I want to chill, sit under a tree, eat lunch and relax. Much easier to have someone else worry about that. Manic did a great job of that. And at very reasonable price.

Does this make me less of a MTBer?

It all relative to what you want  to spend and there is an old saying that if you want something done right do it yourself.

This is not saying the mechanics didnt do a good job. This is to to do it yourself then you have no else to blame.

hello' date=' ek pos nie baie maar lees hierdie forum gereeld. ek is jammer om te s? dat ek nooit ooit weer my fiets na hierdie winkel sal vat.

selfs van marks se beste en persoonlikke vriende laat nie meer hulle fietse hier diens.as ek nog mooi kan onthou was daar verlede jaar ook 2 klagtes hier gepos gewees oor swak diens.en die ouens wat dit gepos het is nog elke dag hier.miskien wil hulle nie meer daaroor praat, maar daar was reeds vorige klagtes
[/quote']

Probeer eerder engels...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there "die skim". Dit lyk of jy jou naam gestand doen. If I wanted to, I could do the same to you and insult you without reason just because I felt like your name is an indication of your IQ. Both absent and hiding. But I won't. I feel that if you have a problem with someone or with a service you sort it out face to face. Not like a coward hiding behind a nick name and a faceless computer. Next time do the epic without a "wrak van 'n fiets" like the one you had. No one can perform miracles. If your bike was a heart, not even Dr Chris Barnard would be able to fix it. I know Mark and I was there to see the extra mile that he walked for his clients.