The Crow's Weapon of Choice

Iwan Kemp

Curious as to how much that thing weighs. I know that weight is not very important when riding a rig like this but was wondering how much bulk is in making a bike a bit more bullet proof. Just a ball park needed. Thanks.

How does it compare to your Ibis? Comfort, handling,...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MY GUESS 15KG. Bets now open

All proceeds towards making the bike lighter! Haven't weighed it yet, but it's quite a bit heavier than the Mojo. Frame alone in the region of 1.4kg. That's a lot. Shova, which is also 140mm, weighs 3.3kg (quoted) for the frame and the Mojo weighed 2.26kg actual.

Mojo is crazy light for how stiff and strong it is, Mbuzi is a bit heavy when compared to the 160mm competition. Frame is quoted at 3.6kg. MBUK has it pinned at just under 3.9kg. Nomad weighs 3.1kg. That's a big difference.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It's bit tricky to compare the two cause the indented use is way different. I did have 99% the same build on my Mojo so in essence only the frame and shock changed. However, if you can get your mind around that and understand that I am comparing apples and pears here, here goes:

The weight difference is obvious. Not only when climbing but general riding as well.

The Mbuzi is not as agile as the Mojo. I'm talking fast, technical sgl track here with fast direction changes. Trail sections that require you to move the bike around below you a lot. The Mbuzi is not slow or sluggish, it's just slower.

DW-link is miles ahead of single pivot when it comes to tracking when climbing rough stuff. But then again, the DW is MILES ahead of everything else.

The Mbuzi feels a lot more solid and is a LOT stiffer. The rear is unbelievable through rough corners.

DT shock on the Mojo climbed better, but the DHX kills it through fast rough stuff, on descents, drops and jumps.

On slow technical stuff, it was a breeze getting the Mojo back up to speed. The bulk of the frame, single pivot and DHX make it a bit more effort to get the Mbuzi to speed again.

What surprised me about the Mbuzi:

It climbs better than it's weight would suggest.

It descents like a pissed off terrier

It's PLENTY stiff

Morewood's single pivot design can challenge other multi pivot designs

I'm not missing my Talas. I thought I would need to be able to drop the fork to at least 130mm for technical climbing, but so far so good. It is tougher than if I had a Talas, but with proper technique and body position, it can be bridged.

It's a fun bike

It tracks and rails corners like I have never been able to.

I don't have to brake as much going into corners.

Morewood has struck the perfect balance between big hit bike and AM bike that can be ridden all day (if you're fit enough)

I started typing to explain why the one or the other, but that's not the point here. THEY ARE DIFFERENT BIKES. If I replaced the Mojo with another 140mm trail / AM bike I could to a direct comparison, but not with these two bikes. If I could afford two bikes, it wouldn't be the Mojo and Mbuzi. The Mojo can do a lot that the Mbuzi can do and in some areas (agility, speed, weight) it will better the Mbuzi. The Mbuzi on the other hand will survive heavier abuse for much longer and with greater composure. It will descent faster and track technical stuff better due to siffness. (Apart from the 20mm Thru Axle fork it comes std with a 12mm rear maxle)

If I could afford two bikes it would be a Mojo and...or the Mbuzi and...crap! I don't know!!!

Point is: Mojo can run with the big boys. Mbuzi can run with lighter trail bikes and hit bigger, badder, meaner jumps on the way down.

Looking Sweet dude.. I want the seatpost!

Yes, you do. It's brilliant. It'll transform riding Tokai.

Thanks Crow. So what you are saying is you have got yourself a bike that you will never be able to ride to full potential.LOL

Thanks Crow. So what you are saying is you have got yourself a bike that you will never be able to ride to full potential.LOL

Not even close.

Crow that puppies is sparkling mate.

I got a Shova and love mine! That one must just eat bumps, lumps, hops and drops for all three meals of the day!!!

And the the new K24's look pretty good too. Hope to see you on the trail sometime and chase you down the hill

Well at least the new dad is riding a proudly south african brand...

Yes, take that sentence as you will...

Not even close.

When I'm back on my bike I have to come down and join you guys for a spin. See what you do with these burly machines.

Shot, thanks. First need to get the DHX sorted before I can chase anyone down anywhere. But you get the feel of the bike immediately and it's gooooood. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My riding buddy and I swapped bikes a couple of times the other night coming down Majik forest and he was immediately fast on the Mbuzi. It has a very natural, confidence-inspiring feel. He was amazed at how well it cornered and the speed it carried through rough stuff.

Formula brakes are amazing. Straight out of the box, they were MUCH better than the Elixirs I was running in the interim.

Well at least the new dad is riding a proudly south african brand...

Yes' date=' take that sentence as you will...

[/quote']

that is so wrong in so many ways ... that its about right