Tires for the Epic

Tridude

Time is running out and I have to make a call on what tires to use for the race. I have always used Hutchinson's (both tubeless and non-tubeless)and have never had any problems, until now...

I recently got a Giant Anthem and it came with Tubeless Hutchinson Piranha Race Lights. Obviously I didn't have a problem with the tires as I now the brand. I would like to let all of you know to stay away of rocks with these tires.

On the first weekend of riding I destroyed the front tire on a rocky downhill (5mm cut on the tread). This past weekend I destroyed the other tire on a rocky downhill. Had a 14mm cut on the sidewall Angry that I managed to fix with a piece of tire liner and a new inner tube. Approx. an hour later another sidewall cut on the other side of the same tire....AngryAngry

I will not be riding with these tires anymore.

I am looking for a good all round UST tire for the Cape Epic... Any suggestions?

Tire SizeTire Size 26x2.10 26x2.10 
TPITPI 120 120 
BeadBead Foldable Foldable 
Max PSIMax PSI 60 60 
WeightWeight 690 690 
DurometerDurometer 62a 

Tridude, apologies once again for not stopping when I passed you on Sunday, but I had no tools on me at all, not even a spare tube.

Anyway, my recommendations would be Kenda Nevegal's especially if it gets extremely muddy. The Crossmarks for me are too busy and will retain mud whereas the Nevegals have wider spaced knobblies.

the crossmarks are great.they.roll fast,grip pretty cool,and they last.the kenda nevegals are also reeeaaally nice.and teir tubeless version will work on UST.good luck,and enjoy. 

I also still have the CrossMarks on, G#d they just don't want to "break" so I can buy the Ralphs...damn!!!! And mine weight 590g, that's the normal foldable one's with Stans.

Thug, no worries for not stopping. I need the practice.

How is the rolling resistance on the Nevegals, and who sells them in Joburg?

Guy at my LBS put on a pair of Vredestein Trexs for me (coz they didnt have anything else, and I didnt want to have to wait to ride my bike) anybody know anything about these tyres?..... erm and is it tyres or tires? Isnt tires the american spelling?

You need a fast rolling tire for the epic as there is plenty of gravel & tar road. Did my first one on Specialized Rocksters (but they've been replaced/upgraded). A few guys did the Karoo to Coast on Intense System 3's and they raved about them (which is the Epics 1st or 2nd stage in reverse). The downside will come if you hit rain.

Personally, I'd take a set of fast rollers and a set of mud tires and keep track of the weather forcast.

Buff2007-02-28 02:56:04

How is the rolling resistance on the Nevegals' date=' and who sells them in Joburg?[/quote']

I've been shopping for tubeless Nevegals for the Sani2c and have had a very hard time finding a shop that has them in stock  (got one this morning from Westdene Cycles).  

The shops told me that the suppliers were even out of stock.  So, if you want them and you see them, buy them immediately - you may not get hold of them again.