1. 1. Dual Suspension or Hard Tail

• Hard Tail
    • Dual Suspension

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now don't get personal.Evil%20SmileEvil%20Smile When I get back on my FULL SUSPENSION  bike I might still be able to whip your ass.Angry

Take a GOOD full suspension bike to your favourite fast' date=' rocky down hill. If you don't go faster on the full suspension bike than on the HT then it is just your "fear factor" kicking in.

To quote Cassius Clay "Float like a butterfly sting like a bee". 
[/quote']

Not talking about DH, talking about XC and marathon events.

Ok If were talking Pro racers etc.

Then I want to point out to you.. Julian Absalon is a XC racer. thats pretty much the only discipline where HT still has a large Presence. But watch Burry and Shizer kill him on XC this year.Wink

Nathrix I think the point here Is that Us everyday Mtbikers do it for the Fun aswell not just Racing and for that, I think a FS is something to consider.

Had all the Peeps that voted had an option to ride a FS Im sure the poll would have looked different.

but Hey, So far It looks like on the hub, hardtails are more common than FS. sorry It just swung the other way.. FS on top

From what I see the ratio of FS versus HT's at races are ever incresing and may verywell have taken the upper hand already.

Come to think of it, It will make for some Interesting polls.

BOS10002009-04-03 05:25:01

By the way you should hope that you are still able to cycle when you are my age.Smile

My but the youth of today are so full of themselves.Wink

Hey Bos1000. The bigger vote for HT has more to do with budget and availability than preference. If you set up a poll for bikes over R15k or something like only you'll see a different picture.

Most people are on HT's cause the bulk of bikes being sold is under R10k. And you don't get a lot of FS bikes for under R10k let alone a semi descent one.

I have back-to-back a RACE hardtail and race FS bike on various terrain. The HT was only quicker on smooth, non technical climbs. On rocky / rooty / techinical climbs I was a lot faster on the dual. Sgl track the dual always KILLED the HT and on descents it was just plain stupid how much faster a dual is.

I have done this in Jonkers, Tokai and Harkerville and the result was always the same. Viva Garmin 705!

P.S. Was planning on doing Sani2C on my Full Suspension bike this year but my partner was assaulted rather badly and I had an eye op at the end of January.Unhappy

Riding a dual susser and never look back, and by the way Christoph Sauser is the world marathon champion, on a dual susser. Julien Absalon races the shorter distance stuff.

Hey Bos1000. The bigger vote for HT has more to do with budget and availability than preference. If you set up a poll for bikes over R15k or something like only you'll see a different picture.

Most people are on HT's cause the bulk of bikes being sold is under R10k. And you don't get a lot of FS bikes for under R10k let alone a semi descent one.

I have back-to-back a RACE hardtail and race FS bike on various terrain. The HT was only quicker on smooth' date=' non technical climbs. On rocky / rooty / techinical climbs I was a lot faster on the dual. Sgl track the dual always KILLED the HT and on descents it was just plain stupid how much faster a dual is.

I have done this in Jonkers, Tokai and Harkerville and the result was always the same. Viva Garmin 705!
[/quote']

WELL SAID.!!!!!!!!!!

Riding a dual susser and never look back' date=' and by the way Christoph Sauser is the world marathon champion, on a dual susser. Julien Absalon races the shorter distance stuff.[/quote']

Actually Sauser is the Cross Country World Champ. Roel Paullisen is the Marathon Champ

True, my bad. Sauser was 2007 champ and runner up 2008. Both he and Roel Pauliisen ride dual sussers. And Absalon doesn't race marathon distance.

I have back-to-back a RACE hardtail and race FS bike on various terrain. The HT was only quicker on smooth' date=' non technical climbs. On rocky / rooty / techinical climbs I was a lot faster on the dual. Sgl track the dual always KILLED the HT and on descents it was just plain stupid how much faster a dual is.

[/quote']

Im With you all the way, This reasoning was getting a bit tired anyway. If we are not Reasoning to the asme criteria theres no point.

Im going to Knysna next week from thursday to Monday, I CANT WAIT.!! I found some singletrack loops out the back of town that are AMAZING!

Fs Luving all the way

Im going to Knysna next week from thursday to Monday, I CANT WAIT.!! I found some singletrack loops out the back of town that are AMAZING

I envy you.  Have you ever done the MTB race down there. There are some really good single tracks up in the hills behind Knysna.

Picked up something about AGE just now. Got to tell a short story real quick!

Few years back, while at uni, over December I was putting in a big base period, 15-24 hours a week. I was following a training program and everything was going great. We then went on a 3 week holiday to Zim, and I quickly found the local racing crowd and joined them for their weekly training rides.

By that time, I was about half way into the 12 week base period, and I felt fit and good! On one of our rides, there was two guys setting the pace up front. One was a young guy, I think the Zim u/23 champ and the other a 76 year old bloke!

I was no pro, but I have won some smaller races in NW and KZN, so I was no beginner either. That 76 year old guy was pushing the BIG blade all the way! I often glanced over and saw he was still making small talk while in the big blade with me in my climbing gears a bit short of breath!

At one stage towards the end of the "race", I pulled up next to him and said: "I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you're bloody strong for a man your age!" His reply: "I know!"

So, moral of the story, don't think the oldies is a walk over! When you over take one of them on a hill, make sure you keep something in the tank incase he decides to hook on the back and then through a late attack up the climb!

jdvisagie2009-04-03 06:14:25

Im going to Knysna next week from thursday to Monday' date=' I CANT WAIT.!! I found some singletrack loops out the back of town that are AMAZING

I envy you.  Have you ever done the MTB race down there. There are some really good single tracks up in the hills behind Knysna.
[/quote']

To many tims to remember..My first one when I was 15 years old, My last so far, Last year.

The singletrack downhills are some of the best.

I rode tokai all weekend and Im thoroughly In love with singletrack all over. I was training so much the last couple of months that I had little time to go to tokai or elsewere... I really loved it yesterday, doing all the jumps and drops with my "race settup" stem upside down etc..lycra tights.. must have been Hilarious

Tokai sounds great. I can't wait to get back on my bike and do some single track again. Roll on April 13th.

• 3 weeks later...

Im going to Knysna next week from thursday to Monday' date=' I CANT WAIT.!! I found some singletrack loops out the back of town that are AMAZING

[/quote']

Never done the Single track on Mountain bike but I Have gone from Uniondale to Knysna over the Price Albert Pass on a 1957 Vespa that was a jol.

Back to your original poll about the FS or HT I am going to be buying a bike in the next couple of days and see the concept behind all the discussions but still in a bit of a fix As Bos1000 once said to me if I close my eyes what do I see my self doing on a mountain bike and the answer was flying down a rock path so at that point the FS was definatly the one BUT I only got a Maximum of R 11k to spend so all of a suden things change a bit as I read a bit earlier there is very little to get for this amount in FS. I am a Noob with Terrible OCD where if I do something I need to know whats the best and where I can get it from and I try get in as much information on all the bikes avaliabe to me so rtight now at this point I am leaning toward a HT due to costs. Just the opinion and of a noob