Helmet - Life Span

splat

Clever People:

(I hope this isnt a silly question)

How often should one's helmet be replaced? Does it have a lifespan?

I have had mine for about 6 years and its still in good condition, but I wonder if its still in good shape to do what its supposed to do when I need it to do it. (after all the sweat and sun and general use)

I think it's 3 years. The replacement policy stops then. You update you bike every 6 months why not your helmet aswell.

Yes, well. My new bike makes my helmet look old now. Just looking for excuses for a new one...

Lifespan - hmm- the moment you fall on your head consider the lifespan as expired.

Seriously - I think it will last as long as you want especially if looked after, but a consideration to an upgrade would be that obviously technology changes with time, so if you feeling your helmet has had a good life then go and check out new helmets and compare the difference.

They, whoever they are, says that something happens to the polystyrene after a while and it become brittle and does not absorb impacts that good anymore.

If you leave your helmet in the sun or in your car alot then it might not be a strong as it was. Might become brittle and "turn to dust" on a crash. If my helmetwas more than 3 years old, I consider getting a new one.

They' date=' whoever they are, says that something happens to the polystyrene after a while and it become brittle and does not absorb impacts that good anymore. [/quote']

Saw that somewhere ages ago - cant find it again.

Not sure of that's marketing talk to make people buy helmets more often.

THE LIFESPAN OF A BIKE HELMET

Common wisdom is that a styrofoam bicycle helmet should be replaced every three to five years, depending on how hard it is used, exposure to the elements ? especially sun ? and original manufacture date.

Helmets have a lifespan of around 4,500 miles (7242km), which translates into roughly 5 years (for average recreational cyclists, not professionals). Beyond that, the materials start to break down and the effectiveness of the helmet is compromised. Helmets should also be thrown away after an accident, because no matter how light the damage appears to be, cracks in the plastic and dents in the protective foam will reduce the helmet's protective ability.

They, whoever they are, talk through their stems. Soap, water, sweat, rain, dust, ambient heat/cold and time doesn't affect polystyrene at all. Solvents do, but not many of us sweat turpentine (just smells that way) and sun doesn't really get to the styrene, it is protected by some other plastic stuff that's impervious to UV.

Like Mr Min says, it should last indefinitely, given the above base factors. Deterioration of plastic is visible. UV dulls and makes some plastic brittle. Inspect your helmet from time to time, whether it is new or not.

I think a bigger danger is loose chin straps.

Helmets have a lifespan of around 4' date='500 miles (7242km), which translates into roughly 5 years (for average recreational cyclists, not professionals). [/quote']

LOL

Remember them old Styrafoam "surfboards" you used to get for swimming pools and what happened to them is left in the sun for too long? Things just got to brittle and turned to dust. They loose their "flex" and just snap. Same thing with a helmet. Never mind what the Sweat/Acid does to the things. 6 years? Get a new one.

I would think it should only be replaced if you fall, agree here with Johan and I am very guilty of the loose chin strap.

Well, the pondering and agonising is over. I bought a new helmet this afternoon. Happy Birthday to me!