Flat riding

Is there any difference between hill climbing fitness and flat riding fitness, how would i improve my performance over flat coarses if i can climb relativly well already?

I would say ride harder on the flats... I never used to pase when i rode with my riding patners or if i did i did it 4 a very short time until i started riding by myself and now i cant stop pasing its like im sitting on someones wheel so that is an option to ride by urself and build ur strength

No is the answer..

The intensity is the same but the technique may be different. On a climb you have a constant resistance to work against as opposed to the flat where you have to "create" the power.

Do some long (90 mins) hardish rides on a flat to rolling course and concentrate on pushing the gear you need to generate the power / effort level you might currently ride at on a climb.

Don't forget that bigger/heavier riders will have an advantage on the flats due to a higher absolute power (in most cases) - this is why most of the classics are won by big guys.