This gear ratio is not recommended for newbies

I FLY

To my enormous irration I am now unable to find the link where I read about the speeds attained on these machines. Here is a pic of the 1924 motorpaced French national champs while I try to look for it...

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/d/117176-2/demi_fond_1923.jpg

Ha! found the original string for the guy with the HUGE chainring in the picture below. His pace machine is on the left... how's that for a chain?

On 30th September, 1928, Belgian racer L?on Vanderstuyft regained the Paced Hour Record, covering 122.771 kms (76.29 miles). From "Le Miroir des Sports" No.447/783, 11 September 1928.

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/d/166504-2/VDStuyft.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Some answers with regards to this one, speeds achieved are around 100Km's per hour.

Front forks are reversed and a 600 front wheel fitted to get the rider in close behind the pacer, the distance the roller is set behind the pace bike is set according to the track; on a slower track the roller will be set further back so as the slip-streaming affect is not as pronounced; on a big, fast track the roller will be closer to the motor bike enabling higher speeds to be achieved.

So the reversing of the front fork is not a mistake by the LBS but merely an effort to get the bike closer to the pace motorcycle ahead.

Here is an updated model ridden by the current World Champion Carsten Podlesch, notice the support structures for the stem and seat. Definately not the nicest looking bike I have ever seen.

20070319_065216_podlesch-trispo.jpg

If only all tandems were built this way. I will be happy to sit at the back and operate the throttle!!!!

Cool Pix!!!