Sani2C Adventure:- bike spec?

L.T.G

My mate and I are hoping to attempt Sani2C Ad. next year (if we get an entry) I just want to make sure I'm not in over my head, well, we're not in over our heads.....it just looks like an absolutely brilliant experience...

from those of you who know, what'd be the minimum spec'd bike we'd get away with?

and would a hardtail suffice?  

Sani isn't particularly technical, but is obviously long.  A hardtail would definitely suffice but your butt would hate you after day two.  Your legs may thank you if it is a light hardtail.  Get shoes you can walk in and a bike that moves forward when you pedal.  And practise riding on water....

If you're young and/or strong a hardtail is fine. I use a duel suss because of lower back pain problems on a hardtail, but I wish the bike weighed less on some of the long hills! And like linnega says, Sani is not too technical or rough. So you need to be comfy on your bike and have put in some good training on the bike before the race. I'd recommend a Giant Anthem X or Merida 96 (Specialized Epic too pricy now) as the ideal bike for the race. But many riders get by on much cheaper bikes. Just make sure you have good drivetrain components (SLX or XT, or SRAM 9) and good disk brakes.

Sani isn't particularly technical' date=' but is obviously long.  A hardtail would definitely suffice but your butt would hate you after day two.  Your legs may thank you if it is a light hardtail.  Get shoes you can walk in and a bike that moves forward when you pedal.  And practise riding on water....

[/quote']

LOLLOLLOL saw that on the tv highlights... looked brilliant!

LOL

If you're young and/or strong a hardtail is fine. I use a duel suss because of lower back pain problems on a hardtail' date=' but I wish the bike weighed less on some of the long hills! And like linnega says, Sani is not too technical or rough. So you need to be comfy on your bike and have put in some good training on the bike before the race. I'd recommend a Giant Anthem X or Merida 96 (Specialized Epic too pricy now) as the ideal bike for the race. But many riders get by on much cheaper bikes. Just make sure you have good drivetrain components (SLX or XT, or SRAM 9) and good disk brakes.[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up thanks a lot!

Hey LTG

I am in a very Similar situation to you also not an avid Mountian Biker but would love to attempt the Sani2c for those of you who have given your opinions on the bikes etc... thank you, I am about to buy myself a bike in the next couple of days and this would then become my bike I have just had a look at the Silverback Sierra hardtail would this be ok for the trip

G

Hey OPC Thanks but the above bike is the best I can afford especially if I do get the oppertunity to ride the Sani2c I would have to fork out a further R7k+ so I will be looking over the weekend and hopefully by monday I will be able to come onlib\ne and brag a new set of wheels

If you're young and/or strong a hardtail is fine. I use a duel suss because of lower back pain problems on a hardtail' date=' but I wish the bike weighed less on some of the long hills! And like linnega says, Sani is not too technical or rough. So you need to be comfy on your bike and have put in some good training on the bike before the race. I'd recommend a Giant Anthem X or Merida 96 (Specialized Epic too pricy now) as the ideal bike for the race. But many riders get by on much cheaper bikes. Just make sure you have good drivetrain components (SLX or XT, or SRAM 9) and good disk brakes.[/quote']

Good luck with getting an entryLOL

Good luck with getting an entryLOL

that' difficult?seriously?Shocked

that' difficult?seriously?Shocked

To be honest: almost impossible. For this year's race the available spots filled up in less than 5 minutes.

Hey OPC Thanks but the above bike is the best I can afford especially if I do get the oppertunity to ride the Sani2c I would have to fork out a further R7k+ so I will be looking over the weekend and hopefully by monday I will be able to come onlib\ne and brag a new set of wheels

Nothing wrong with that bike. But upgrade the saddle to a Gobi.