Electronic Gears

BMCfan

Just got the following from twitter:

******* Spying: Columbia's TT bikes with electronic gears, two shift positions, auto trim adjust -very impressive.

I can just imagine how cool this is going to look!

I took pics of McLean's Dura Ace electronic at The Panorama Tour... very impressive. You just change wheels and the RD adjusts and sets itself. FD as well...

I took pics of McLean's Dura Ace electronic at The Panorama Tour... very impressive. You just change wheels and the RD adjusts and sets itself. FD as well...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  there are a few things i would like to set nowWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Steven Meltzer gave me a quick demo on this the other day. Nice gadget for gadget freaks. I liked the auto trim, just wished Shimano had put even manual trim on its components years ago.

My first impression was positive, even though I suffered from rental car syndrome....you know, when you rent a car you either wheelspin the thing out of the Avis parking or, your break your arms on the lack of power steering. Strange cars always drive strange at first. The same with this, I though the shift could have been softer. My impression was that the shift felt like a really really stiff cable shifter. Then again, perhaps it was the fact that it didn't require as much throw in the lever.

Nice stuff though but now we have to see if it doesn't suffer from the ill-fated Mavic Zap's maladies. That was a disaster, if ever there was one.

post them please!!

Guest colonel

What happens when the battery goes flat? Are you able to manual shift to get home?

I read the review on Cyclingnews. It sounds very nice. My concern with these and other innovations is that it is not tested in the real world.

Face it - pro teams and riders don't live in the real world. In the real world you don't have a mechanic dedicated to your bike 24/7. You don't have a mechanic checking the bateries, cleaning things and making sure the system is 100%.

In the real world, this system is bound to fail if subjected to everyday use.

Serendipity2009-05-02 00:41:08

There is no need for an electronic system. Cables work just fine...

caveman: "this cave is allright"

This reminds me of a BMW with a motor plan.

When motor plan is up, sell asap.

O yes, and if you get stuck on the road, call roadside assist.

Hehe

I am sure its fine, but the manual stuff works and it works well