Why do you race on a training ride???

Mats

Race your racing, and train your training. Most of us go too hard on the easy days and to easy on the hard days. Just a thought....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we should organise a training race.

everybody is welcomeSmile

Oh, you mean like Saturday mornings with the bedforview bunch? done. See you on saturday thenWink

This is really irritating behavior' date=' why cant people just stay behind me then I wont need to chase them down?..<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My wife says it?s a male thing but the OP seems to have disproved this ? Thank you.

[/quote']

Cannot relate to this, nobody has ever passed me LOL Actually I would stay behind if she is a real looker Wink, otherwise just have to move on.
Gravity Sux2009-04-29 14:58:48

Racing all the way - the only way you better yourself. Alternate between hilly routes and flats - this way you train climbing to the max and also sprinting/ time trialing.Get a buddy who is a bit stronger than you this way you always need to push hard. The best is to ride with strong older guys who race vets etc - they will never back down and race all the way.' date=' so this way you get maximum training. This is really the best and only way.The week before the race - well do chill rides just to loosen the legs a bit and keep all the energy on level - if you don't ride the nerves and excitement get to you and then your cooked - no way to think and do a smart race. RACING in training is the way to go - You only improve yourself

[/quote']

Sorry boet, that must be the biggest load of hogwash.

I am not someone who is a pro or a wannabee pro but just a social female mtb rider. I went out for a training ride on Sunday morning. On my way back just before going up a small little uphill I passed a few other mtb riders (just by keeping my rhythm). Suddenly one of the girls that I just passed started to chase me down wanting to race me. Confused

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I find this ridiculous.

Is this a common thing that happens around cyclists as this is not the first time I came across a situation like this where it is an ego hunt / chase to the top of the hill.

Why do people thinks they need to prove themselves to me if I don?t even know them and to top all of it why race when you are training?

Can someone please fill me in on this type of behavior?

Dobby, I have not read any of the replies to your question so I may repeat some or allof what others have said so bear with me in my ten zim dollars worth.

I do this sort of thing all the time. If someone passes me, then I figure I'm not riding hard enough and need to increase my effort. If I still get beaten, then it is by a better cyclist. I have no issues with being beaten by someone who is clearly a better cyclist or fitter than I am.

That means (to me) that I have to improve if I want to be better so I have to train harder.

Racing aainst someone up a hill is really cool. It adds a hill acceleration routine to my training, instead of just plodding along.

Chasing down that cyclist in front of me makes me work harder and adds a speed interval to my training.

All this is to improve myself and not to prove anything to the other person. It is for me to prove something to myself.

Since I started doing this, I have increased my fitness and overall cycling ability and I still consider myself to be a social cyclist. I just want to be a better cyclist and improve myself. How better than to test my strength against another.

We train to race so why not race while training? Racing is not a steady ride at a steady speed. There are speed intervals when a front rider may try to break away from a group. If I can stay there, I have a better chance of doing a better race time.

Im with pantani

Its all about practice makes perfect in this case. Myself and my training partner always race each other' date=' it keeps you both motivated to do better and it always helps training the mind and the legs. Just let them catch you ad then break them all apart again and ride away with a smile on your face. The best thing to take with you to a race is confidence.[/quote']

Agreed... well sort of.

Proper practice makes perfect, coz anyone can just practice... smiley2.gif

Keep in mind that although it's cool to race a bit in training, as long as it suits your training. Like, don't go race someone if you on a recovery ride... that's just silly.

Also, relax, there will be loads of people trying to race you when you not...

Just clap them in a real race... all the cool kids are doing it smiley4.gif

In the South its not racing - its riding away from the dogs and kids chasing you

And in cape town is riding away from the kids throwing bicycles at you...

I had a mate who would only train flat out. No matter where you went' date=' or what hill it was up we went b@ll$ out. I hated it. I'd usually just sit up when it got too hard and let him carry on.

Strange thing is that he never beat me in an actual race. He was always too tired.

Seems I did benefit from the intensity...but even more so by knowing when to just go easy!

Its like the early morning sat/sun groups out on the Lido...whats up with the sprint to the stop street?!
[/quote']

Ah such wisdom from the wise bird. This is so true and it comes from experience. Learning to listen to your body,knowing when to rest and when to push.

Training is about practicing and perfecting racing tactics.

Sometimes you have to go hard and other times you have to sit back.

Practice makes perfect and you will learn when you can do this if you race while you are training.

You do need recovery rides though. Something I tend to forget when I get on my bike.

Guest Agteros

And I am just too much of a cheapskate to enter races left right and centre. So now I do my own little mini races on training days... Clown