NCR - What 35mm DSLR Camera & kit?

racman

The 40d is amazing. The 50d and a sigma 18-200 retails at around 25k. ditch the sigma and rather get two lenses. When they put such a huge zoom on lenses it reduces the quality.

I also agree with cptmayhem on the use of the flash. I never took my flash off at dirtopia this weekend.

And finally, rather get a cheaper camera body and better lenses. ie rather the 40d with the 17-85 IS lens and the 70-200 f4 than the 50d.

I would stay away from the Lower Nikons. They do not have focus motors in the bodies and need special lenses where the motor is build into that.

If I had to start over now would get the Nikon D90. It's better value then the Canon 50D and for some odd reason they decided to put a video camera in the thing.

I use the Canon 400D (although I'm looking at upgrading the body)' date=' 430EX flash & 70 - 200 f/2.8 lens most of the time..

Considering the 5D or 50D as an upgrade... think I should just take the pain & shell out for the 5D now Ouch

[/quote']

5D mark II is awesome, but it should be at a shade under R30k!  Add some fine "L" glass (your 70-200 L is perfect) and you're set.

I'm a Nikon fan, but I would suggest that you go and have a look at both brands (Canon and Nikon) before you buy. Take a look at the navigation on both and see which one seems more instinctive to you. It is more about personal preference at the end of the day, as both are great camera brands.

I am one of the very few Olympus fans and use a Oly E510. Their cameras use what they call the 4/3rds system which has a lot of advantages over the the APC sensor based cameras.

-The bodies are generally smaller,

-Lenses are smaller (for the same 35mm equiv focal length)

-Oly has probably the best sensor cleaning system

-Pictures taken in portrait are generally more pleasing due to the aspect ratio. APC cameras generally give very narrow portrait pics.

The only major problem with Oly cameras is noise at high ISO settings and the second hand market for lenses is quite small.

If I were buying a new camera now I would look at a Oly E30, not sure what one costs though.

• 2 weeks later...

Come on now - where are the other cycle photo experts out there ?

Looking at three options at the moment - all Nikon.

D60 with better lenses - can then upgrade body later

D80 - some good deals out there on this as well as good used bodies at low prices

D90 - new

What advice please?

I saw DaLoCo comment on the Sony.

Depends what you want to do.  I have the Sony A 200 and are quite happy with it.  Stock lens is OK and getting good quality shots with my Sigma 170-500.  The camera is better than the photographer behind it.

Well priced at around R6k.