Kenda Nevegal Megablister

TЯΞB

Imagine my surprise when I tried to roll my bike out this morning and my rear wheel locks up .... and I find this ---->

20090503_102141_IMG_2680.JPG

20090503_102209_IMG_2679.JPG

The tyre was still fully inflated, with no damage to the rim or spokes. It's the UST 2.1 version that my LBS fitted using either Stan's or Joe's, not sure which. I've since seen the disclaimer about using sealants in Kendas, and have read about Kendas letting go in other posts here.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar, or if the "blisters" mentioned are generally smaller.

Someone mentioned in one post that he thought that the sealant works it's way through a puncture hole and between layers, sealing the outer layer and the pressure then forcing layers apart causing delamination. This makes a lot of sense to me, and I wonder if it's not just a symptom of using sealant (with any make of tyre). Or do other manufacturers just have a stronger bond between layers?

I'm pondering what to do next, my faith in the Kendas is a bit rattled ....

That's really weird. I run Nevegals with sealant on the 'Goose with no issues. I think I've had them on for about a year now, and I'm not exactly a light rider.

Never seen that before. I ride standard Maxxis tyres with a tubeless conversion and they last until the last knob falls off or I run the sidewall up against a cheesegrater.

Do you have a history of sleepwalking? and biting stuff?

Eish, never seen that before and I've run Nevegals with sealant.

Perhaps though it's the tyre's way of telling you that you need to use the full extent of the tyre as opposed to just riding the bike upright. Wink

That's really weird. I run Nevegals with sealant on the 'Goose with no issues. I think I've had them on for about a year now' date=' and I'm not exactly a light rider.[/quote']

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hmmmm ?. 115kg here, I run the rear at 2.5bar, and I do tend to cane the thing a bit every now and then, but I don?t know if weight really is the reason ?.

Do you have a history of sleepwalking? and biting stuff?

Hahaha' date=' looks like it, doesn?t it. Hmmmm, where?s that damn dog?

How did the tyre stay on the rim?

I have no freakin clue, but this developed after the last ride, so I guess it was hanging by a thread ?.

Perhaps though it's the tyre's way of telling you that you need to use the full extent of the tyre as opposed to just riding the bike upright. Wink<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />[/quote']

Ehehehe, Smartass, you mean more like this one? ---->

20090503_140648_Tyre.jpg

Sigh, I wish I could rail berms all day, but I ride mostly the Spruit and Northern Farm and lunchtime rides at work which unfortunately involves a fair bit of tarmac, so yeah ?.

Finally got around to taking a pic of the inside of the tyre.

I didn't pull the inner layer away from the outer layer any more than is shown here. There were quite a few smaller spot near the middle of the tread around most of the tyre too Shocked

20090509_061012_Kenda_Nevegal_2.jpg

Hmmm, really concerning!!

I'm looking at going tubeless soon - but have some worries regarding sidewall delamination issues.

So the question is which tubes to use? That will alos not break the bank...

I checked Stans No tubes website...sh$tload of information on their members forum section....will take weeks to sift throught the relveant info..tried to search for delamination topics, but nothing came up...

http://messageboard.notubes.com/  Maybe soembody else who does not feel like cycling but rather surfing can check and report backWink??

Anyways, I've compiled (from that site) a Word document that discusses tyre & rims & STANS compatibilities for anyone who feels like some heavy reading - 33pages!)uploads2/20090511_053751_Messageboard_ty.zip

Once again - any feedback from this will be welcomed...

Happy reading

Ok OK, still cannot stop reading...I'm a sucker for information!!Wink

Quote:

Author: StumpyDavid [ Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:23 am ]
Post subject: Stan's with Kenda tires - The "real" story???

I have heard so many pros and cons about Kenda tires running Stan's. I notice that Kenda's are on the approved list. Do they blister and blow off? Does being a heavier rider make a difference more so with Kenda's? C'mon, what is the real story? Anyone???

Author: NoTubes_Pete [ Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

There is no problem running Kenda's. Like all tire company's every once and a while you get a bad tire that delaminates . You will also void kenda's warranty using any sealant.

We use Kenda tires more then any other brand.

Author: StumpyDavid [ Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Any issues with heavier riders that you know of?

Author: NoTubes_Pete [ Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

No problem that i know of

Unquote

So, Kendas are widely used.....maybe this was just a bad tyre??

Cassie2009-05-11 05:48:35

No comments?

Well, I did the reading and it seems that the KENDA NAVEGAL comes up quite a  bit in complaints...a bit too much for comfort.

I'll stay away from them when using Stans or Joe's sealant....

The same thing happened to me at an event last year.

I ran Nevegals on a two day event and midway through the 2nd day slurrrppp.El calapso.looked like a Vrystater wors for about 20cm

Tyre was destroyed.

I put it down to any latex based sealant.Part of the scene.

Still running Nevagal on the front and Cross Mark at the back.Await the next braai

Are you sure it is the latex?

Me thinks it is the ammonia base of the sealants....saw some comments in this regard.

Stay away from the Joe's liquid..

why? what issues have you had with Joe's?Shocked

I changed from slime to Joe's and had no issues up to date