Turning Bottle Cage Bolt

ICE ID

Does anyone know where I can get a bottle cage bolt that is turning in the frame repaired in CT? Frame is Carbon!

Does Produx do it?

GilaJoffe2009-05-07 00:17:18

Had the same problem with this causing a rattle. Couldnt get the screw out for love or money. I put some thin plumbers tape around the screw and managed to tighten it this way and stop the rattle. good luck!

That particular type of nut is called a Rivnut and is used on 90% of today's bottle cage nuts on frames.

It is a tool that like a pop river gun, can do blind riveting, i.e. rivet on the blind side of a sheet. On a bike the blind side would be the inside of the frame.

The particular tool is quite expensive and not many bike shops have one. However, many bike shops know where to borrow one and I suggest you start there. Otherwise, phone up some sheet metal companies in your area and ask if they have a Rivnut tool. They'll ask you what size...I've forgotten - 6mm? Mechanics? Help.

is the bolt itself turning' date=' or the boss into which it screws?[/quote']

The bolt is in the boss and the boss is turning in the frame

That particular type of nut is called a Rivnut and is used on 90% of today's bottle cage nuts on frames.

It is a tool that like a pop river gun' date=' can do blind riveting, i.e. rivet on the blind side of a sheet. On a bike the blind side would be the inside of the frame.

The particular tool is quite expensive and not many bike shops have one. However, many bike shops know where to borrow one and I suggest you start there. Otherwise, phone up some sheet metal companies in your area and ask if they have a Rivnut tool. They'll ask you what size...I've forgotten - 6mm? Mechanics? Help.

[/quote']

Thanks Johan

Ill try the shops first

Mini Hijack - Thanks Gila' date=' my ex large Ice band arrived. Mini Hijack off

[/quote']

Fab, enjoy.....and thanks for the support

Had the same problem.  Epic bike shop in Plumstead has the rivnut tool to fix it.

Had the same problem.  Epic bike shop in Plumstead has the rivnut tool to fix it.

Lance.....what a legend!!!

Thanks

They first have to drill out the nut, so make sure the guy working on your bike is half good, not a pimply faced youth.

I was going to say, Isnt half the problem getting the Bolt out of the rivnut first?  the tool wont help for that.  but what I wouldve done is to try apply a bit of pressure to the top collar of the rivnut so that it grips on the frame, you might be able to wrestle the bolt lose that way.

Make sure you get stainlessteel riv's next time cause many people in the industry use galvanised ones, these will rust.

good luck