Allu quality

keith

I see most alu frames are the 6061 and 7005 series I think' date=' but now what about scandium frames?  I don't see a number series there that includes scandium?  I am pretty sure scandium bars and frames etc. are not pure scandium.

[/quote']

No, according to the geniuses(genii) on this forum there is only a couple of molecules of scandium in the Alu, with scandium being one of the rarest and most expensive elements known to human kind.

I see most alu frames are the 6061 and 7005 series I think' date=' but now what about scandium frames?  I don't see a number series there that includes scandium?  I am pretty sure scandium bars and frames etc. are not pure scandium.

[/quote']

No, according to the geniuses(genii) on this forum there is only a couple of molecules of scandium in the Alu, with scandium being one of the rarest and most expensive elements known to human kind.

hey, look above, I just said thatWink

So to answer my original question 7046 just falls under the 7000 series?

Yes, my baseball bat manufacturing friend says its 12% lighter than 7005, and 15% or something stronger. Don't know what kind of strenght, but I think it is a 7000 series material that is hardened in a slightly different way to 7005 is all.

[/quote']

You beat me by 200 Milli-seconds. I hope that if i hang around here long enough i too will become a genius. My colleagues at work are already impressed at my knowledge of metallurgy.

[/quote']

hmm interesting, would a scandium frame have any better properties than a 7005 frame say other than being lighter?

I dont think that it would be lighter nesessarily - but it may be stronger and more fatigue resistant. And because of this they may make it lighter....

[/quote']

hmm interesting, would a scandium frame have any better properties than a 7005 frame say other than being lighter?

Um, not really, and not necessarily lighter either. I had a Scandium frame before, and I have had 7005 series alloy frames that are lighter (and heavier). Some say that the downfall of Scandium frames is that they are not as resillient and durable as alloy ones. I couldn't comment. My Scandium was 6 seasons old when I sold it, and the was two years ago, and it seems fine stiil I hear. Christoff on the other hand went through a Scandium frame nearly every handfull of races... Go figure.

So to answer my original question 7046 just falls under the 7000 series?

Yes' date=' my baseball bat manufacturing friend says its 12% lighter than 7005, and 15% or something stronger. Don't know what kind of strenght, but I think it is a 7000 series material that is hardened in a slightly different way to 7005 is all.
[/quote']

Your baseball manufacturer is smoking his mitts.

Think about it for a minute......how are they going to get it 12% lighter? The only way is to remove all alloying metals that are heavier (denser) than aluminium and suddenly is 1000-series alu, the stuff your mother wraps the sunday roast in before cooking it.

The difference in density between various alloys of just about any metal is very slight and as a rule of thumb, they all weigh (more or less) the same.

The difference in weight of a component of X strength made from two different alloys is another story.

If the one alloy is much stronger than the other, you could (other factors such as heat/welding and machining capabilities notwithstanding) make the one much lighter than the other one, yet retain the strength I referred to above as X - all by using less material to get to the same outcome.

Therefore, the alloy is not lighter but the end product is.