Let's see those Morewoods...

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbup: Chubba!

Either a Shova or an Mbuzi will be the next morewood I plan on adding to my stable

There was an Mbuzi for sale in the classifieds, small tho.

The Shova:

post-12790-0-81219400-1314955059.jpg

Chubba any idea what your Shova weighs? They are just the perfect trail machines.

Chubba any idea what your Shova weighs? They are just the perfect trail machines.

I weighed it on a bathroom scale - and it came in at a tad over 13kgs.

That's a really good weight for a Shova. :thumbup:

Yup. Light enough to climb at a lekker rate and strong enough to bomb down the ruff stuff. Perfect. My Zula is actually fulfilling the trail bike role at the moment!

Chubba how about a ride report and how are you enjoying that bike compared to the Zula?

Firstly i would have to say it is a LOT more forgiving and comfortable then the Zula. When you loose it on the Zula, which is easy, it bites you.

The riding position on the Shova is a lot slacker, more travel and plusher ride. I also find I use my hamstrings a lot more, which means my legs are not as tired and I have been climbing better. I do find that the shock has a lot more play due to the HV can, so there is more pedal bob even with propedal on therefore loss of efficiency.

I have been playing with the fork as it is adjustable 120-150, so on climbs I take it to 120. Even at this height I have been struggling with pulling the front wheel up on steep short inclines due to the steeper angle, but this just needs a bit of learning on my side.

Going down, I can adjust the fork to 150 on the fly and it has made a huge difference, so too has the seating position. I now feel “in the bike” and not perched on top of it like the Zula. It eats single track, flowing over bumps, ruts and roots and definitely gives you more confidence. I think the fact my weight distribution is better and that I now feel part of the bike, has given me more confidence to move my weight around to better control corners, drop offs and the technical stuff. (Still want to learn to jump.)

The Zula is an XC bike and for long rides, with easier terrain, I think it’s the way to go. It is efficient, smooth and fast.

If you want to have fun and comfort the Shova is fantastic. I can say I am a convert and very happy with the change. I have also come to realize, I am not that interested in being a race snake and riding XC for 60 -90kms. I want to have fun, and the Shova delivers that.

Yup. Light enough to climb at a lekker rate and strong enough to bomb down the ruff stuff. Perfect. My Zula is actually fulfilling the trail bike role at the moment!

And the Intense?

The Zula is an XC bike and for long rides, with easier terrain, I think it’s the way to go. It is efficient, smooth and fast.

If you want to have fun and comfort the Shova is fantastic. I can say I am a convert and very happy with the change. I have also come to realize, I am not that interested in being a race snake and riding XC for 60 -90kms. I want to have fun, and the Shova delivers that.

Interesting comments Chubba. I find that in smooth singeltrack (i.e. Majik forest) my Zula is quicker than my Intense, but as soon as it gets rocky, rooty etc (i.e. Jonkershoek) the Intense will put light years over the Zula. So ja, horses for courses. And nice to have 2 very different bikes.

And the Intense?

The Intense is fulfilling the all important AM role ! But ja, I'm also still learning the tricks and trades of jumping, so at the moment the rider is holding the steed back!

Interesting comments Chubba. I find that in smooth singeltrack (i.e. Majik forest) my Zula is quicker than my Intense, but as soon as it gets rocky, rooty etc (i.e. Jonkershoek) the Intense will put light years over the Zula. So ja, horses for courses. And nice to have 2 very different bikes.

Yes, that’s what I meant, sorry if I did not convey it properly. Zula is very good on smooth stuff, but more travel is nicer on trickier paths.

Yes, that’s what I meant, sorry if I did not convey it properly. Zula is very good on smooth stuff, but more travel is nicer on trickier paths.

:thumbup:

Firstly i would have to say it is a LOT more forgiving and comfortable then the Zula. When you loose it on the Zula, which is easy, it bites you.

The riding position on the Shova is a lot slacker, more travel and plusher ride. I also find I use my hamstrings a lot more, which means my legs are not as tired and I have been climbing better. I do find that the shock has a lot more play due to the HV can, so there is more pedal bob even with propedal on therefore loss of efficiency.

I have been playing with the fork as it is adjustable 120-150, so on climbs I take it to 120. Even at this height I have been struggling with pulling the front wheel up on steep short inclines due to the steeper angle, but this just needs a bit of learning on my side.

Going down, I can adjust the fork to 150 on the fly and it has made a huge difference, so too has the seating position. I now feel “in the bike” and not perched on top of it like the Zula. It eats single track, flowing over bumps, ruts and roots and definitely gives you more confidence. I think the fact my weight distribution is better and that I now feel part of the bike, has given me more confidence to move my weight around to better control corners, drop offs and the technical stuff. (Still want to learn to jump.)

Watch and repeat

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Coastal-Crew-Summer-Time-Voltage.html

Archived