Carbon Hartail Mtb Frame

Santa C

Hey Hubbers,

This might open a can of worms for debates...but what's the lightest, best geometry and value for money carbon hardtail mtb frame out there?

Why carbon? Personally I would go for a alu frame and then use the money that's saved on better wheels, fork, groupset etc. and not worry about falling over against a rock with the plastic frame.

And then the best for what? Racing, trial riding, etc?

For example fro racing I would look at

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ON%20ONE%20SCANDAL%2029ER

or

GT zaskar, or Giant XTC

For trail riding I would look at something like

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/freeride-hardtail/on-one/456/PRD_414075_1544crx.aspx

this is also super cool

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bank.cfm

Then 26" wheels, 29er? etc.

The Giants are indeed the best value for money. Super Light Carbon flames at a fraction of the cost of more popular brands.

I'm no expert on hardtails, but while I waited for my frame (soft tail) i had a loan bike from Trek. Was a carbon hardtail 9.9 and i must say i was blown away with that frame. Climbed like a demon and was rock solid on the descents.

Not sure what they go for but I was really impressed with it

Best value for money can only go to Giant or Merida.

2 points:

If you gonna spent money (all carbon is expensive), buy something you really want (it might be a Giant or Merida).

Rather look at after sale service on carbon frames than bang for buck when buying. Carbon has been known to sometimes fail Wink

Thanks guys for your comments!!! I hace a Dual sus at the moment, and have different spares so want to put a light weight HT together for XC short course racing.

I have a 21'' Alu frame that weighs in at 1260grams. 90% of Carbon frames in that size is heavier. Carbon is not always lighter. 

Agree with 1t and daemon, you pay a premium for carbon that is unnecessary and over rated. I'd be willing to bet that for a fixed budget a cheaper alu frame with better wheels etc will feel better that same price carbon bike with cheaper components. My Epic partner has carbon bike heavier than cheaper/same priced alu bikes...<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I bought an XTC2 (2nd hand bargain I couldn't miss out on) but frame was too big - swapped it with a raleigh RM7 frame 2 inches smaller and I'm sure the giant alu frame was lighter than the RM7 which has a carbon rear triangle. Not easy finding listings on frame weights :-(

I personally would not buy a carbon frame, but i don't think its overrated....its "natural" stiffness is a big plus and (what I consider the best attribute) they smooth out the vibrations. Carbon hardtail frames ride very, very smooth.....