Chip Shifting Arrives... againShimano!!!!!

Guest Big H

Guest Big H

From RBR

Chip Shifting Arrives<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

This technical innovation probably isn't for you, but it might get your parents onto bikes.

Trek, Giant and Raleigh are about to introduce three-speed bicycles that feature chip-controlled gear shift systems. Shimano is behind the technology, called "Coasting."

How's it work? According to a report at http://tinyurl.com/38ns9h a dynamo on the front hub gauges wheel revolutions. It sends the info to a computer chip near the pedals. From there, the chip, which controls the planetary gears in the rear hub, determines whether to shift up or down. It all happens in the span of four or five pedal strokes.

"This technology is for casual use or social riding . . . somebody who wants to tool around town," says a Shimano spokesperson. "It's not intended for even inclement weather."

The attempt is to win back the 161 million Americans that haven't ridden a bicycle since they were kids. Shimano cites surveys that say many Americans equate cycling with road racing, Lance Armstrong, unflattering cycling shorts and sweat.

Americans surveyed said "no" when asked if Armstrong inspired them to get on a bike.

So Coasting is one answer -- easy and carefree riding without even the need to shift gears. The bike does it automatically (unless it rains).

Coasting bikes are expected to cost between $450 and $700.

And when it breaks, like the Shimano STI's, you can't take it to Mark's Bicycles to have it rebuilt, unlike Campy Ergolevers (which Mark does for R400 all inc.)

I rest my case Big%20smileLOL

That's right, you have to take it to Gladman Erasmus who will charge you R300 to rebuild your Shimano STI. TitusTi2007-03-22 08:23:42

Guest Big H

The biggest falacy that was created by kempekker protagonists is that STi's cannot be repaired........ Ok Coolheat also played their part in the legend..... but to their own benefit and marketing strategies!!!!!!!

That's right' date=' you have to take it to Gladman Erasmus who will charge you R300 to rebuild your Shimano STI. [/quote']

LOLClapThumbs%20Up

on the money

The campy vs shimano debate aside, I remember a similar thing back in the late 90's when Cannondale marketers found that people liked downhill mtb riding more than uphill. So they tried to make money by introducing the freeride bike. (sort of a heavy XC full sus, with a bit more travel that you take uphill with the ski-lift)

Idea did not work.

Remains to be seen if millions of overweight, unfit Americans will start cycling now because of an automated shifter. 

Freeriding has made Cannondale and others a bucket of money and opened up whole new arena's for Mtb'ers, what point are you trying to make?

The campy vs shimano debate aside' date=' I remember a similar thing back in the late 90's when Cannondale marketers found that people liked downhill mtb riding more than uphill. So they tried to make money by introducing the freeride bike. (sort of a heavy XC full sus, with a bit more travel that you take uphill with the ski-lift)

Idea did not work.

Remains to be seen if millions of overweight, unfit Americans will start cycling now because of an automated shifter. 
[/quote']

LOLLOLBig%20smileLOLLOL

Idea did not work??!!

Dude, you gotta get out of GP for a holiday bru..

go to like Whistler in Britich Canada or Les Gets in France, Verbier in Swiss land.

Nothing but Freeride bikes on the trails...

Apparently that idea of being shuttled up a hill has taken offClap

The fact of the matter is that any person with basic motor skills can service and fix a capag shifter. Ever tried putting a shimano sti back together after you opened it up...good luck.

Guest Big H

Shimano does not break, is dependable and is cheap enough to replace.

Shimano does not break' date=' is dependable and is cheap enough to replace.[/quote']

Have to disagree...I see my fare share of broken Sti's..on a daily basis. Sorry oom...but its true..Cry

From RBR

Chip Shifting Arrives<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

This technical innovation probably isn't for you' date=' but it might get your parents onto bikes.

Trek, Giant and Raleigh are about to introduce three-speed bicycles that feature chip-controlled gear shift systems. Shimano is behind the technology, called "Coasting."

How's it work? According to a report at http://tinyurl.com/38ns9h a dynamo on the front hub gauges wheel revolutions. It sends the info to a computer chip near the pedals. From there, the chip, which controls the planetary gears in the rear hub, determines whether to shift up or down. It all happens in the span of four or five pedal strokes.

"This technology is for casual use or social riding . . . somebody who wants to tool around town," says a Shimano spokesperson. "It's not intended for even inclement weather."

The attempt is to win back the 161 million Americans that haven't ridden a bicycle since they were kids. Shimano cites surveys that say many Americans equate cycling with road racing, Lance Armstrong, unflattering cycling shorts and sweat.

Americans surveyed said "no" when asked if Armstrong inspired them to get on a bike.

So Coasting is one answer -- easy and carefree riding without even the need to shift gears. The bike does it automatically (unless it rains).

Coasting bikes are expected to cost between $450 and $700.

[/quote']

Niks snaaks nie shimano vat in elke geval so drie tot tien pedalstrokes om te verander!!!!!!! Het nie n chip daarvoor nodig nieLOL

There big h just said it at last SHIMANO= CHEEAAAP. And I think they should. not call the idea "coasting" but rather "Costing".

Oh and by the way oompie its never a good idea to use "dependable" and "replace" in the same sentence, but then again it is Shimano.
kritzinger12007-03-22 12:56:23

Titus, GoLefty, I don't think anything is wrong with the concept of freeriding, some people like to freeride.  I got the idea that the expensive, heavy rigs bike companies came up with initially to address this mass market was not what the market wanted.

I'm wondering wether the availability of a computer controlled drivetrain will now inspire the target market to start cycling. So a lot of people in America must say: "Hey, I had a bike, but I never rode it. Since I've bought this new bike with automatic shifting, I ride much more" I dont think so - if Lance cant inspire an American to buy a bike, automatic shifting wont either.

I do think the technology will sell well in European countries where lots of people cycle around town, like the Netherlands. 
Christie2007-03-22 14:50:25