Why don't we have a proper MTB mag?

Pappa Bear

....o yeah almost forgot..... will it be possible to give test bikes a rating' date=' 1-5, or something similar in the next issue?

[/quote']

On what scale/basis would you rate them, Pappa Bear? (Still can't believe I'm talking to a fairytale character.)

Remember that we ride marathon/XC bikes, trail bikes, All-Mountain bikes, and down the line, DH bikes, hardtails, 29-inch bikes etc, etc. Each bike has different tyres, different components, is ridden by humans in different moods in different conditions. There are so many variables. If you can help me come up with a solid rating system, I'll consider it...

Sean Badenhorst2009-06-17 06:55:03

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Sean' date=' will TREAD Mag offer Product reviews and test rides in the future?

[/quote']

Hey Shaun, Issue 1 had bike tests/reviews. Issue 2 has bike tests/reviews and product reviews. The plan is to go bigger with this section, but just need the market to see the value in it. We actually use the products and ride the bikes. We don't just photograph them in a studio and write something based on the spec sheet....

Sean, the last bike review was not a comparison between the bikes reviewed. Will that be done? Basically take 5 bikes in the 5" travel, R20 000 category and test them against each other.

Most SA mags are ok to read. Tread is good. The paper has a bad smell but thats all LOL

What i dont like is when gear gets reviewed that isnt avalibe in the shops . They always tell you who the importers are. Tell me where i can buy it.Wink

Need lots more infor on trails in SA. even some nice maps to them and of them. To me that is one area we falll well short. Some of the UK mags have pull outs for dome trails. Maybe even put a DL on you site for gps maps.

Thanks for the compliment leet22. The importers are the ones that can inform you where to the buy the product since they supply the retailers. I don't know which retailer is down the road from you, do I?

Trails is a big priority for us. We have some big plans in this category as we want more people riding trails and not just doing races for a safe, marked rides. If you can get me good quality maps for MTB trails, I'll find a way to include them in the mag.

We're very open to constructive criticism and suggestions and will continue to fine-tune with each issue.

In that case, I want a 4-page interview with each of the 8 amateur

Trials riders in SA, as well as reviews of the entire Koxx, Zoo, Echo

and Inspired ranges. While you're at it, I also want an article on how

to service a Front Freewheel, and how to pedal-up onto a 1-meter ledge.

I think HR should do the pedal-up, he falls lots so it'll be funny. TongueLOL

Sean will you have some content to cater for the people wanting to get from beginer into the intermediate level?

Slowbee, I believe that's what the other local mags offer. We're trying to fill gaps in the MTB market...

Sean' date=' the last bike review was not a comparison between the bikes reviewed. Will that be done? Basically take 5 bikes in the 5" travel, R20 000 category and test them against each other.[/quote']

It is on the cards. My test team is spread all around the country which makes it a logisitcal challenge to do comparative tests. But I'm working on it. I'm keen to get readers involved in this to make sure credibility is maintained.

Cycle Lab stocks (tell Neil I say wassup) as does Shaun's Power Cycles' date=' Leigh's...uhhhh.....Adam's.... [/quote']

Okie dokie, I'ma goin to check em out Big%20smile

Fred at Geco has.

Sean will you have some content to cater for the people wanting to get from beginer into the intermediate level?

Slowbee' date=' I believe that's what the other local mags offer. We're trying to fill gaps in the MTB market...

[/quote']

so if i find those others boring Tread is the way to go and learn Big%20smile

Slowbee' date=' I believe that's what the other local mags offer. We're trying to fill gaps in the MTB market...

[/quote']

so if i find those others boring Tread is the way to go and learn Big%20smile

I'm keen to get readers involved in this to make sure credibility is maintained.

Pick me! Pick me! I'm working from home from next month, so I'll need some friends an excuse to get out of the house. Wink

Remember that we ride marathon/XC bikes' date=' trail bikes, All-Mountain bikes, and down the line, DH bikes, hardtails, 29-inch bikes etc, etc. Each bike has different tyres, different components, is ridden by humans in different moods in different conditions. There are so many variables. If you can help me come up with a solid rating system, I'll consider it...[/quote']

That is why they should all be tested on the same trail at the same time (group ride). First ride them with stock parts and then change parts to what you think would make it better. Give it 2 ratings. 1 for performance and one for value. And you can even give it a little "award" to say it was "best on test". The distributors can even use that "award"in their ad material.

We're very open to constructive criticism and suggestions and will continue to fine-tune with each issue.
In that case' date=' I want a 4-page interview with each of the 8 amateur

Trials riders in SA, as well as reviews of the entire Koxx, Zoo, Echo

and Inspired ranges. While you're at it, I also want an article on how

to service a Front Freewheel, and how to pedal-up onto a 1-meter ledge.

I think HR should do the pedal-up, he falls lots so it'll be funny. TongueLOL

[/quote']

oh, really, you horrid little german? just a simple pedal up? how boring. why don't we throw a 180 in there too? smiley36.gif

ps, did you see my crash on the site? funny sequence.

Are there plans for any longer term tests of products beyond the "novelty" stage of receiving a new product to test and the longer term durability of the product?

oh' date=' really, you horrid little german? just a simple pedal up? how boring. why don't we throw a 180 in there too? smiley36.gif

ps, did you see my crash on the site? funny sequence.[/quote']

Okay fine, pedal-up to backwheel, followed by a 180 backwards launch. Wink

I missed your crash pics, are they still up?