Punctures

MJ the Expat

This thread is scaring meCry?STOP

?

I am going to babbas on the 16th never been there before

?

Please dont tell me I am going to suffer numerous punctures and hardship

?

This is only my second ever entry my first being the Monster that did 1400 rands worth of damage to my bike 4km's in so?I was really hoping this would be a more easy trouble free event to enterErmm

?

Maybe I will just ride around the car park? SmileBig%20smile

Don't be scared.....it's a nice, fast, easy race. bored girl2009-06-09 06:43:56

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is scaring meCry STOP

This is only my second ever entry my first being the Monster that did 1400 rands worth of damage to my bike 4km's in so I was really hoping this would be a more easy trouble free event to enterErmm

Maybe I will just ride around the car park  SmileBig%20smile

I've had more tumbles in the car park than the actual race.

smiley36.gif Like BG said , if you survived the monster the Babaas willbe walk in da park , but without tobeless you will be sitting next to the trail a lot . Take lotsa tubes and patches . The car park is a very dangerous area , right Scotty ?

Ouch i started the race battered and bleeding, not from one fall but two, then a third after the race, all in the parking lot.

Because pros ride faster - often much faster - than us mortals, they leave the singletrack (or beaten track) more often and pick up thorns or hit rocks we probably wouldn't. It's a higher risk, higher reward game at the front and as a result they suffer more punctures.

Didn't survive the monster but next year I will back!! wiser and with more sparesBig%20smile

Feel better now as if faster = more punctures I should get none LOL

Cant wait as it would be great to actually reach the finish of an eventWink

Once you go past Zambesi How much longer does it take to get to the lodge I am driving through from little falls so just want to make sure I leave in time

This thread is scaring meCry STOP

This is only my second ever entry my first being the Monster that did 1400 rands worth of damage to my bike 4km's in so I was really hoping this would be a more easy trouble free event to enterErmm

Maybe I will just ride around the car park  SmileBig%20smile

Lot's of sand at Babbas! Plenty! But, like I said, for met it is the perfect training ground as it has almost everything! Still looking for my first win there though - been 6th and 2nd in the 35km!

maybe true actually....never got ONE puncture in 3 years when i was riding a 5;00;00 hour 94.7- 2;23;00 94.7.....

now im cruising at about a 2;40;00 94.7 and im getting a few a month

How do you guys rate tyre liners? I had them in my old bike and touch wood, not one puncture..

Three words

Oliver Yes Tubes

Interesting thread. Must say, I can't relate to tubeless hell.

From my point of view I would not dream of using tubes. I have never had or seen anybody have a big issue with tubeless on training rides with tubeless. Had a bloke with us riding tubes and his ride turned out to be a circus.

He flatted, removed tube and patched it. In his haste to get it pumped he managed to rip the valve out. Now with a bit of pressure to fix the situation he pulled out a stans tube and managed to pinch this while inflating the tire. Could not patch this as patches don't stick to slime covered tubes. Riders riding tubeless offered tubes they carry as backup but we needed to go through three of these before we found one that was not perished - shows how much these folks needed the tubes but also a warning to those running tubeless, make sure the tube you carry as backup is useable. We finally got the show on the road again only for the same bloke to pick up a pinch flat on a rock about a half hour later. Not a great advert for tubes.

With my tubeless I have only once had a situation where I could not get going again after a plug and sometimes a bit of air. In many cases you don't even need to pump as you can plug before the pressure drops too much. If you put the plug in properly it does not seem to give trouble either. At the moment I am riding a tire that flatted during day 1 of Sani2c and was plugged. This tire completed this race, Epic and all the riding in between.  Thought I would put a new tire on for Lion Man but managed to hit some metal / wire on the track and got a big sidewall cut. Whatever cut the tire would have gone through a tube too.  This is the only time I have ever had to tube a tire to get home. Back on by old plugged tire again - now has 3000km and still going strong

With my tubeless I have only once had a situation where I could not get going again after a plug and sometimes a bit of air. In many cases you don't even need to pump as you can plug before the pressure drops too much. If you put the plug in properly it does not seem to give trouble either. At the moment I am riding a tire that flatted during day 1 of Sani2c and was plugged. This tire completed this race' date=' Epic and all the riding in between.? Thought I would put a new tire on for Lion Man but managed to hit some metal / wire on the track and got a big sidewall cut. Whatever cut the tire would have gone through a tube too.? This is the only time I have ever had to tube a tire to get home. Back on by old plugged tire again - now has 3000km and still going strong
[/quote']

Well, I can say that I have given a tube a person who got stuck after getting a puncture with tubeless wheel and because they did not have enough sealant, it did not seal. On another occasion I have seen a lady push her bike with flat tubeless tyre. When I offered to help she declined as she was not too far from her car.

I say it is luck of the draw.

I haven't ridden tubeless never really took to me.

Regards to riding tubes. .  I've been riding it for 10YRS only counting from when I started riding. Slime works for most things, Anthing that can cut a tire can cut a tube.

However I think the terrain you ride makes a difference I don't have thorns or alot of sharp edgy rocks in my area.

I would like to know what is the air pressure difference that guys run between tubes and tubeless?

I run my tubeless at 28psi - rider weight about 83kg