Moving from V's to Disc's

RossW

Hi all,

I am in the process of moving from V's to disc's but with the wide choice out there; local and CRC I am at a loss. Does one go for AVID, HOPES, FORMULA, HAYES. . .

I would appreciate feedback from you on your experiences with the different brands and suggestions to aid with my purchase.

I do mostly XC but that ranges cause I have the UCI route in PMB literally at my doorstep. So I make use of the 4X track, DH route and XC course. I have a HT if that makes a difference on what I should be looking at.

Go Shimano as all their brakes use the same pad, they are easy to set up and any one (should) stocks the pads.

The problem is that the adjustable brakes come in at such a high price. . .

How does the Julie HP compare?

Any opinions on AVID JUICY range? 

Don't know much about them, but my new baby comes with Hayes and they're pretty dam awesome.

I've read though that the juicy range tend to squeal badly. Experiences?

heard that said about shimano brakes too. they start that way the 'bed' in?

I've been seriously impressed with the SLX kit. The whole groupset has been rated by many as one of the best value-for-money groupsets ever.

Some of the engineering, like the internals on the shifters, are identical to XT.

I think the only difference on the brakes is that the levers are not forged and the calipers are not one-piece like the XTs.

But seriously, I'd have them any day. Superbe feel and modulation and they feel way better and more powerful than my old Avid Juicy 7s.

In my experience it's the pads that squeeel and not the brakes . Diffrent pads wil give you diff braking experience and sounds !