Presta vs Schrader???

wackwack

Are there any real benefits of using presta over schrader valves?

I'm really thinking about drilling my rims to take a Schrader valve...

What think y'all?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wackwack?why?

It may seem dof but.....

1) with a toobless conversion it is so easier to get 20'' tubes

2) i have been caught out twice when losing tyre pressure while out on a ride i couldn't pump my tyre at the filling station

3) then my bike & the mrs bike is the same - i don't have to turn the jobbie on the floor pump.

Are they lame excuses??

I think that presta valves are used because they are thinner and require a smaller hole in the rim, which is therefore stronger. Probably not so important on wider MTB rims but as a rim gets narrower a schrader valve hole probably compromises the structural integrity of the rim

wackwack?why?

It may seem dof but.....

2) i have been caught out twice when losing tyre pressure while out on a ride i couldn't pump my tyre at the filling station

3) then my bike & the mrs bike is the same - i don't have to turn the jobbie on the floor pump.

Are they lame excuses??

for #2&3, you can buy a valve converter for R20.

wackwack?why?

It may seem dof but.....

Are they lame excuses??

for #2&3' date=' you can buy a valve converter for R20.
[/quote']

i have a few - i just forget to pack them, lose them, etc. Thats why i ask is there any actual benefit??

.....dont drill your rimsShockedShockedShocked  It has been designed with a certain dia hole.... not a bigger one......

Will you drill your frame?  If your answer yes - drill your rims.  If the answer is Na - don't drill your rims.Tongue

wackwack?why?

?

It may seem dof but.....

?

?

Are they lame excuses??

?

for #2&3' date=' you can buy a valve converter for R20.
[/quote']

?

i have a few - i just forget to pack them, lose them, etc. Thats why i ask is there any actual benefit??

me too!

tape it to you pump.

.....dont drill your rims. It has been designed with a certain dia hole.... not a bigger one......

Will you drill your frame?? If your answer yes - drill your rims.? If the answer is Na - don't drill your rims.

Oo koek, don't let JB see this.

So what you are saying is that they make two batches of rims. Some for shraeder valves and some for presta? I do not think so. And yes, I have drilled my frame so that the water can get out.

.....dont drill your rims. It has been designed with a certain dia hole.... not a bigger one......

Will you drill your frame?  If your answer yes - drill your rims.  If the answer is Na - don't drill your rims.

Oo koek' date=' don't let JB see this.

So what you are saying is that they make two batches of rims. Some for shraeder valves and some for presta? I do not think so. And yes, I have drilled my frame so that the water can get out.[/quote']

I've welded and brazed frames too... and drilled rims...

beats me that the Heavy's does not think twice about taking a drill to their bike frames !! Scary stuff .