Mountain bike

switchback

I am wanting to upgrade from a hardtail to a softail mtb. I ride a couple of times a week in Tokai forest, am learning to master singletrack, and taking part in the Knysna 50km trail race soon.Will probably enter more races but not about to do the Epic any time soon. Any suggestions for a good bicycle to buy , perferably not more than R15000. I am a female but don't necessarily want a female specific bike. The choice of bikes is mind boggling !!!

Switchback, look at the Giant Anthem range. But if you are not in a hurry, look around here for a while. Sometimes you can get great bargains.

Seeing as you are in Cape Town, pop down to Cycle Traders (Avron) and see what he has there.

Scan Gumtree as well

I was also going to suggest Anthem, but I have one, so am biased.

there's not much at Avron's at the moment, but last time I went there was last week. He does re-stock quite often though, and gets demo bikes in every once in a while... So carry on trying.

We have narrowed it down to a Scott Spark 50/ Giant Anthem 2/ Specialized Epic Comp all 2008 models. Apart from the avid Anthem owners , can anyone comment on the other 2 ?

Also , what are the opinions on lady specific bikes ? Are they preferable / necessary ?

We have narrowed it down to a Scott Spark 50/ Giant Anthem 2/ Specialized Epic Comp all 2008 models. Apart from the avid Anthem owners ' date=' can anyone comment on the other 2 ?

Also , what are the opinions on lady specific bikes ? Are they preferable / necessary ?
[/quote']

I think a ladies specific bike is only beneficial if you are small. The top tube is generally shorter than the equivalent male/normal frame as well as better stand over height.

Generally women specific bikes seem to be of a lower spec - dont know why that is... They also seem to be quite pink and girly. Some women find that silly, others like pink. Personal preference there.

Where are you shopping around? Have you been sized for a bike yet? Does the shop have a WS bike for you to try?