R-Sys Wheel failure - post recall

splat

That wheel design is doomed. It was flawed from the beginning.  The notion that a slender-spoked wheel should go from tension into compression at each cycle is where it all started. They then expected a slender column to support the wheel in the load affected zone. These columns buckle easily. However, I suspect it is't the buckling per se that causes the break, but damage done in the tension cycle that then causes stress risers for Euler's buckling to do its thing.

Mavic has lost the plot and needs to employ more engineers and less marketers.

Mark my words, we're going to see a second and final recall on R-Sys wheels before more customers fall on their arses.

... before more customers fall on their arses.

Faces.  It's the faces when the front wheel goes.LOLDead

Barend de Arend2009-06-10 06:40:42

I crashed in January in CT.  There was not a single spoke left in the front wheel.  I broke my collar bone and scapula.  The other rider in the fall was left with a few scars and very littele damage to his bike.  I have received the "second edition" mavic R-Sys front wheel but after reading the article posted yesterday don't really want to race on these wheels.  MAVIC are refusing to replace my set with an alternative set of wheels untill this case has been investigated in full by MAVIC in France.

That is why carbon spokes were banned in the 90s. Then a DT swiss spokse were like 50-80c and a carbon one R3-50.

THATS why I don't like/trust MAVIC

I like Mavic and have ridden them for years but i dont buy very light wheels.I don't see how they can last if they are to light.

Mavicshouldbesued for this appalling design. It's criminal that they are allowed to continue with it.

that is one seriously frightening story! also a well-balanced and well-written piece of journalism.

that is one seriously frightening story! also a well-balanced and well-written piece of journalism.

Of course it gets a whole lot better balanced when Mavic is afforded the opportunity to respond: http://www.velonews.com/article/93240/mavic-responds-to-wheel-collapse-article

thanks for that, but delaney did say that mavic were scratching their heads at the time of going to press, and still aren't sure.

Of course it gets a whole lot better balanced when Mavic is afforded the opportunity to respond: http://www.velonews.com/article/93240/mavic-responds-to-wheel-collapse-article

as they say in the classics there are always two sides to a story!!

and yes frightening as it may be and as subjective as the first article was most crashes are caused by human error and with mavic pointing out the things that the original author left out it makes me think that the shimmy he felt was in fact the tire rolling off the rim due to a hard cornering action and being in a race situation you are not concentrating on how far you are leaning in

with that said however if the tire did fall off before the rim broke there would be abrasions and possibly a flat spot on the sidewall of the rim on the opposite side to where the tire came off due to him trying to correct himself

Rolling a clicher tyre off a rim?! Thats bull. The response from mavic is even a bigger load of bull. If the tyre came off in a corner you would slide and fall on youre side...not go over the handlebars and ending up on youre head. Even if their fairytale contains any truth, no wheel should disintigrate when a tyre comes off or in the event of a crash. I rolled a tubby before in a crit but I stayed upright because the rim still supported me and the bike.