New Agilis crank and SABB from Rotor

Ivanb

Guess what it can be in red now. pic is 3mg dont know how to make it smaller.

Here howth SABB works20070803_092414_saab_animation_.gif

The only advantage I can see in this BB is the fact that you can now drop in another bearing cartridge. All the hoohee about them offering longer bearing life is nonsense. Cartridge bearings' date=' as used in most BBs nowadays are sufficiencly pre-loaded to not "hang" loose at the top with downward force on the crank, making maximum use of the bearing life available in this design.

All this design has managed to do is just add another dynamic joint into the set-up, with the first being the B/BB cup threaded interface and the second the plain bearing added to the setup. Expect it to creak and become sloppy as it wears. The plain bearing there can't lubricate itself and will merrily grind away at itself.

New, large-diameter BB axles are sufficiently stiff not to have to design a dynamic joint to compensate for its flex. I predict this design will not survice.

[/quote']

Once the BB is inserted and fitted the bearings no longer float since they are constrained by the crank.

The bearings only float to take up misalignment. Once that is taken up they remain static and the cranks run in one plain. There is no wobble or you would feel this through the pedal.

So there is little risk that the "Plain Bearing" would wear out.

This concept is the same as floating bearings used on shafts of electric motors

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic