New Agilis crank and SABB from Rotor

Ivanb

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotor asked me for figures on tandems as it seems we are the largest tandem riding country in the world.

AT the moment they not doing tandem, but i am sure they will if I can get numbers as it seems very little tandem cranks available that are reliable.

The cranks look great and the adjustable length axle is novel.

I especially like the SABB.

does it come in fire engine Red?

• 3 months later...

Guess what it can be in red now. pic is 3mg dont know how to make it smaller.

Here howth SABB works20070803_092414_saab_animation_.gif

Man that's a sweet looking crank...

And from a techie perspective - very very nice...

Which has just thrown my thoughts re a new crankset wide open...

The price on these really isn't that bad!

Dammit...

20070803_155308_agilis_130_dyna.jpg

BEAUTIFULL!!

So out of interest for me and many other "weight weenies"...

Whats the total weight on the crankset, BB & chainrings? LOL

PLUS: You can definately add my name to the list of interested parties from SA keen on a tandem crankset. Clap

One day when I can get a better crankset than my Shimano Hollowcrank I tandemset I will definitely upgrade to these BB's. The Hollowcrank still has the internal bearings. The bending of the axle is even more acentuated on a tandem due to the bigger energy exerted.

Fortunately this is not true. If the two of you were stomping on the same pedals yes, but you're not, you each have your own crank and still exert one man's force per crank. You won't find better cranks than Shimano's. Besides, strong enough is strong enough.

Guess what it can be in red now. pic is 3mg dont know how to make it smaller.

Here howth SABB works20070803_092414_saab_animation_.gif

The only advantage I can see in this BB is the fact that you can now drop in another bearing cartridge. All the hoohee about them offering longer bearing life is nonsense. Cartridge bearings, as used in most BBs nowadays are sufficiencly pre-loaded to not "hang" loose at the top with downward force on the crank, making maximum use of the bearing life available in this design.

All this design has managed to do is just add another dynamic joint into the set-up, with the first being the B/BB cup threaded interface and the second the plain bearing added to the setup. Expect it to creak and become sloppy as it wears. The plain bearing there can't lubricate itself and will merrily grind away at itself.

New, large-diameter BB axles are sufficiently stiff not to have to design a dynamic joint to compensate for its flex. I predict this design will not survice.

by rethreading the rounded threads often the threads are in the wrong position due ot no starting point on the rethread. So we put a bit of loctite on the thread' date='  turn in the SABB casing and then when the bearings need to be changed they just pop out. No need to change the whole BB.[/quote']

Threads don't round when they get damaged, they strip. A stripped thread has a larger diameter than a new one. Fretting motions in the BB shell eventually destroys threads on very old, well-used bicycles. Fixing a stripped thread with loctite will not revive it and punting this product as a thread-repair work-around is deceiving.
Johan Bornman2007-08-05 01:19:39

by rethreading the rounded threads often the threads are in the wrong position due ot no starting point on the rethread. So we put a bit of loctite on the thread' date='  turn in the SABB casing and then when the bearings need to be changed they just pop out. No need to change the whole BB.[/quote']

Threads don't round when they get damaged, they strip. A stripped thread has a larger diameter than a new one. Fretting motions in the BB shell eventually destroys threads on very old, well-used bicycles. Fixing a stripped thread with loctite will not revive it and punting this product as a thread-repair work-around is deceiving.

I apologise for saying rounded and not stripped.  I beg to differ because it does work. It is not a permanent solution but an option to revive old frames.

The only advantage I can see in this BB is the fact that you can now drop in another bearing cartridge. All the hoohee about them offering longer bearing life is nonsense. Cartridge bearings, as used in most BBs nowadays are sufficiencly pre-loaded to not "hang" loose at the top with downward force on the crank, making maximum use of the bearing life available in this design.

All this design has managed to do is just add another dynamic joint into the set-up, with the first being the B/BB cup threaded interface and the second the plain bearing added to the setup. Expect it to creak and become sloppy as it wears. The plain bearing there can't lubricate itself and will merrily grind away at itself.

New, large-diameter BB axles are sufficiently stiff not to have to design a dynamic joint to compensate for its flex. I predict this design will not survice.

You can have your opinions but don't call it nonsense until you have tried and tested.

[quote name=Johan Bornman

Fortunately this is not true. If the two of you were stomping on the same pedals yes' date=' but you're not, you each have your own crank and still exert one man's force per crank. You won't find better cranks than Shimano's. Besides, strong enough is strong enough.

[/quote]

Its  amazing because a new kid is on the block they can't be good enough.

I am sure if Shimano, Campag or BBB brought out this technology the opinions would be different.

i must say I am impressed with all the comments and they are all good for everyone and the end the cyclists will decide.

True Ivanb...

Take any comments in your stride - there will always be good and bad - and both will at times be equally valid!

But then that will be the same with any product, so as you say - let the cyclists decide!