Cycling and gym training ?

ASTANA

Do you gym for extra training and conditioning ?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you gym for extra training and conditioning ?

• YES - weight training to built muscle
    • Yes, but light conditioning stuff
    • Yes - only flexability and cardio
    • NO, just cycle
    • NO , ONLY do other sports for crosstraining

Just interesting to hear. Most pro athletes go to the gym at least 2 times a week, even if its just lightweight stuff.

Obviously in the off season there is more focus on building a solid base to train on.

would just like to hear your views on this.

With winter here, rain and cold temps in the morning my running(for cross training) is not going that good anymore.

Want to go to the gym before work in the mornings and after work take the lights and MTB or Road bike depending on the weather.

Job is 8-5 , want to gym at 5:30 for about a hour then I need to get back to get ready for work.Sleepy

I learned a valueble lesson in gym training: I have to stop training like I am a body builder!

I weigh 85kg, plus-minus. I can bench 120kg and leg press 400kg. THAT MEANS NOTHING WHEN YOU GET PASSED BY A 15 YEAR OLD UP A HILL AT MAGALIES!!!

Thus, LESSON LEARNED: You are now entering foreign waters my friend. Stop training like a body builder and start training like a cyclist.

And that is how? Less rest in you weigh training. Higher reps. Less weight. More cardio specific weigh training.

Spending the next 3 weeks running to get the bulk down a bit!

I would say stick to the core.  If you go to gym, do some circuit work, abs, very important and some stratching.  I'm not a spin lover, but if it is raining, rather do spinning that doing nothing and then maybe do the long rides over the weekend.

I hate the gym, but with a 1 year old at home I don't get my chance to cycle during the week.  At least with the gym I can go after 7 at night.

A fried of ours has been gyming 3 times a week and its made his cycling a LOT better than before.  He has had the help of a personal trainer though.

• 10 months later...

I understand your pain and confusion of what to do: <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

After asking a question that seamed easy enough in your mind to answer; has now you left with more questions on what to do!

Questions such as:

?  Am i over training?

?  Am i under training?

?  How much is too much weights?

?  What must I eat?

?  When must I eat?

?  When and how much cycling do I need to do?

?  What can I train in the gym?

?  Why shouldn?t I use free weights?

And the list of questions goes on.

I say ?I know your pain? because I have spent the last 16 months asking these questions myself only to be left with more questions than answers, and I?ll tell you why you left with more questions than answers (it because 1: you've tried a lot of things people have suggested and advised and that of what you have read 2: no 1 has asked you the most important question; and that is what is your Goal?) ?once I had answered that I was able to take all the knowledge of what I had read and the advice I had been given and piece it all together).? And finally I am on my way to achieving what I want.

My Goal is to Race again and not just ride (as I did before I stopped racing a few years ago) but I also want the body of a Men?s Health Mag model. Once I had decided that this is my goal ? I could put together the answers to the correct question and my Question was:

-       How do I race very competitively on the bike and look good on the beach?

So please tell me what your goal is and I will give you the knowledge you need to make your goal a possibility.

• 2 months later...

Astana, pm me, I'm on a scientific gym training program.

You have to concentrate on your Core training the first 3 months, if notm your body is "out of balance"

--- And light weights

Sorry, still getting the hang of the new site.

Could you help me with the specific training program you are on ?

Thanks,

MIKE

082 728 1443

According to Joe Friel in The Cyclist's Training Bible (a book everyone serious about training should read), strength training is broken down into three phases:

1.) Anatomical Adaption (AA) and Maximum Transition (MT) usually occur in early winter and leads into the base period. AA uses low weight (50% 1RM) and high reps (2-5 sets of 20-30 reps) to prepare your muscles and tendons for the next Maximum Strength (MS) phase. MT is a short transition period of increasing weight going into the MS phase. Here you do sets of 10-15 reps at weights that you can only just manage for that number of reps.

2.) Maximum Strength (MS) usually occurs in winter at the beginning of your base period and lasts for about 3-4 weeks. It involves sets of 3-6 reps at certain percentages of bodyweight (e.g. squat 1.3-1.7xBW, leg press 2.5x-2.9xBW, row 0.5-0.8xBW etc.)

3.) Strength Maintenance (SM) is done throughout the rest of the training season, except for the race period. It typically involves 1 session per week doing 2-3sets of 6-12 reps. The weights are around 60% 1RM and 80% 1RM on the last set. The exact exercises depend on how you react to them and the rest of your program e.g. if squating improves your racing, leave it in, but if it increases your fatigue too much, don't do it.

EDIT: corrected the phases.

I agree with most , but for mountainbiking you need strong shoulders ,arms(including forearms) and back. So in addition to core work I think you need to work those muscles as well. I'm not a regular MTBer and I could feel at the Nissan 40k my forearms, and afterwards shoulders and back muscles were a bit sore and stiff.

Personal opinion - Go for 20 reps.

If you cant do 20 reps - you`re going too heavy

If you can do 30 reps - you`re going too light

Try combination movements if you can - this will help with core.

Even try some fitness classes with the lady - it will score you some brownie points too.

Personal opinion - Go for 20 reps.

If you cant do 20 reps - you`re going too heavy

If you can do 30 reps - you`re going too light

Try combination movements if you can - this will help with core.

Even try some fitness classes with the lady - it will score you some brownie points too.

Vinny This is good advice.. I do a little home gym on mondays as its my recover from long weekendrides day.

Im no expert but a personal trainer friend who Is built like a bull told me to do these for our kind of sport.

A short explosive routine and do it 3 or 4 times. I dont want to push to hard (like a bodybuilder) because then my muscles is sore/tired the next day when I normally do hils on the bike.

SImple stuff like lifting a 10kg dumbell off the floor above your head and extend, fast as possible, do say 20 reps and alternate arms,then I do another 3 different ones, all fast motions, and many reps, I do all mine in 3 minutes and then my heartrate is through the roof, rest for 2 minutes and do it again

Its to create explosive power as a pose to pure muscle

This is a cycling specific workout designed for me by a top class personal trainer.

The loads depend on your fitness levels but the emphasis is on light!

Judging the advice and comments here I suggest you get a personal trainer to work out a specific programme for you so you don't stuff yourself up.

It takes 2 hours to work through so forget the 1 hour dash

Warm-up: choose 2 from the following

Walking/Running 10 Min

Cycling 10

Rowing 5

Programme Sets Reps Load

Chest/triceps

Dips 3 12-15 n/a

Flat Bench Press3 12-15

Incline Dumbbell Press3 12-15

Tricep Pushdown 3 12-15

Tricep Extension3 12-15

Back/Biceps

Lat Pulldown (in front, wide grip)3 12-15

Seated Row 3 12-15

Barbell Curls 3 12-15

Alternate Dumbbell Curls3 12-15

Back Extension 1 12 - +

Wrists/Shoulders

Reverse Wrist Curls Barbell3 12-15

Alternate Wrist Curls Dumbbell3 12-15

Deltoid Front Raise Barbell3 12-15

Deltoid Lateral Raise Dumbbell3 12-15

Quadriceps/Hamstrings/Calves

Squats (Smith Machine)4 12-15

Leg Press 4 12,10,10,8

Leg Curl 4 12,10,10,8

Lunges (Smith Machine) 4 12-15

Seated Calf Raises 4 12,10,10,8

Standing Calf Raises 4 12,10,10,8

Abdominals

Crunches (bench) 3 25-30

Obliques Crunches (bench) 3 12-15

Roman Chair Hip Flexor Bent Leg 3 25-30

Cooldown: choose one of the following Min

Walking/Running 10

Cycling 10

I recently did a pilates(spelling?) class.

This is FANTASTIC for cycling core strength. The class was actually quite tough. I reckon if I could do that 2x a week through winter, you would come out with super core strength!!

Have you ever heard of bone-loss? You need to do strength training.

I don't believe in high reps low weights. For muscle to grow - they need to tear.

I do a 20-30 min full body weight training session 2/3 times per week using heavy weights where I can do a max of 10 reps. With that I do core training, which is important. 2 sets per core muscle group(upper abs, lower abs, obliques, transverse abdominis and lower back)

Hi Guys

I get PM's from you, I'm not on the Hub anymore.

I just visiting,

Sorry, i dont have the program anymore

regards and stay safe