INDUNA - not the usual MTN SERIES standards

Candy

I just wanted to see if anybody else was as disapointed with the Induna race this weekend??

I really enjoy the MTN series and after riding several events over the past years have come to expect a certain standard at these races... however for some reason these standards were not met this weekend at induna.

My complaint is not aimed at the actual route (as that was amazing and I really enjoyed it) but rather at the running of the water tables! The 3 water tables along the 45km route only had water but nothing else not even food. One table had a new energy powder product (I had not heard of before and was not willing to try while riding a race) but nothing else. This race was through many banana plantions - but not even banana's featured at the water point.

Secondly, there were no medals to the 45km, 75 or 120km finishers - I'm not super sentimental that I require a medal however the race entries are not the cheapest and the goodie bags were NOTHING to write home about... and with the lack of drinks and food at the water points what exactly is our entry money and sponsorship money going towards??

Thirdly - as a lady I was very surprised when Yolanda Speedy being the ONLY lady to enter and complete the 120km race received no prize??? I understand that due to limited people entering the 120km race we cant reward everyone, however being the ONLY lady entring and FINISHING the race she surely deserves more recognition!!!

Are my complaints valid or am I expecting too much???

Other than the above, Induna was an awesome race and those who missed it, missed out big time!!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros

Food on the shorter routes might be a bit much, however the rest are all valid.

From the few MTB races I've entered it would appear as if the organisers somehow confuse MTB with Adventure Racing as it seems like a regular occurrence for the water tables to run dry, or being unmanned for the middle of the pack to backmarkers, or there not being enough water tables

Guess it is a supply and demand thing... everybody and their dogs/cats/kids wants to do MTB, so now the race organisers are just raking in the money, with scant regard to service levels.

It was my first ever race and I am happy just to have finished. Somewhere near the back but finished anyway.

I loved the route, the scenery and the friendly spirit of the competitors but also found it strange that by the time I got to the water tables there was nothing but water and they may as well not have given the goody bag at all as I don't eat fizzers.

I understand that they want to give the medal money for charity and am cool with that but at least give us the option. New riders like myself love to get something shiny for sitting on that damn saddle for nearly 4 hours! If they want to charge me an extra R 10 for a medal fine, I will gladly pay.

Otherwise, great race and I will be back next year for more punishment and, hopefully, a much quicker time.

It is a race , not a picnic !!! Must the organizer cater for each individuals requirements ? I only drink "FIT" and expect it at the water tables ? I however am not very happy with this numberboard nonsense !! I bought a number board 3 years ago and was told that it is not valid anymore and I need a new one !! BS !!

TZmtb I think you got a long way to go !!! We finished 2nd last smiley2.gif .

My only disappointment was that I couldn't get a puncture to seal and ended up bailing the 75k race at the end of the 1st loop (ie 45k).

The organisers made it perfectly clear and announced on a couple of occasions that in lieu of medals R8 per person would be donated to a local organisation (the name eludes me). I don't see anything wrong with that and imho is far more worthy than having a cheap medal that gets thrown into the back of a cupboard.

The Induna gives away unique cycling shirts each year, hence no medal.

they also made notifications this money goes to charity.

I missed this years race with my daughters arrival, but the course has always been one of my favourite rides.

If you require special food/drink/bananas then carry them in your pockets or camelback for heavens sake. next you will be asking for burgers and chips. Its a race not a tour.

Rude2009-06-15 00:41:04

Mmmmmm in the old days everybody that entered online got one , this year was only first 500 I think .

The organisers made it perfectly clear and announced on a couple of occasions that in lieu of medals R8 per person would be donated to a local organisation (the name eludes me). I don't see anything wrong with that and imho is far more worthy than having a cheap medal that gets thrown into the back of a cupboard.

Couldn't agree more... the medal clutter only gets you into trouble with the missus anyway.

problem with no food was for the elites who did the 120km. I heard one of them say they were looking for some solid food as the energy drinks didn't suffice for such a long race

Candy, even thought Speedy was the only lady to compete in the 120km, the 75km was the official ladies distance. I personally do not think she did it for the prize money, rather for the challenge. It was really embarrassing for me when she passed me just before the 2km to go mark. But I am sure it was waaaaaaaaaay more embarrassing for Ian McLeod, who was behind her and all the guys that didn't finish.

I agree with the banana story. Any fruit would have been good actually. There were selling huge bags of oranges on the side of the road for funny money. Some cut up oranges would have been nice - it's not really food, it's not really water but it kind of gives you a nice refreshment. Franco Sport that organises Babbas lodge races wins hands down in the fruit department for me (they even have strawberries at the finish table).

I didn't get a medal 2 yrs back as they had finished....um yes I am slow. And that I kind of had an issue with, but if they aren't giving anyone a medal and donating the money then it's ok in my book.

yes, remember, its a water table on a mtb race. not a refreshments stand along a route for a bike outing.

It is true that participants have different objectives when entering a RACE. I pay to race on a marked route and compete against others. not for prizes, oros or medals. The standard is, a start time, a finish time, medical care and well marked route. Everything else is a bonus.

I only started racing this year as well, but have yet to experience a MTB race with massively elaborate watertables (in contrast with Argus etc), therefore dont expect much except a bit of poweraid or splash of water.  So I carry two bottels with me, plus a nougat bar as well, which is more than enough for the 2.5 hours on the 45km, but guess I'd be hacked off as well if I rode for 4+ hours to find empty tables.

The race was fantastic, the route, the crowd, the mountains (more fun to look at than climb though).  Definitely be back next year!!

Mmmmmm in the old days everybody that entered online got one ' date=' this year was only first 500 I think .[/quote']

When I was entering I only saw the shirts being advertised for sale @ R120 or something.

I must colour in my number board as it was on the bike yesterday and flapping in the wind at 120km/h didn't do it much good.... smiley36.gif

DR where does Induna fall in the DR's real mountainbike races scale? smiley17.gif

I however am not very happy with this numberboard nonsense !! I bought a number board 3 years ago and was told that it is not valid anymore and I need a new one !! BS !!

Any old (old sponsor) number board will just be swapped for a new one (old ones being previous sponsor logos - the board it's self is 100% the same) and in-fact are re-used and reprogrammed and sticker ed. smiley2.gif

If this was the case and you were asked to pay for a new one, apologies, I tried to convey this across, but was not able to be there all the time. smiley9.gif

smiley4.gif My Dear I almost died on Saturday !! But I should have known this is not a race you can just "wing" !!! But I have always said it is the best single day event and it rates at the top about 1 point above the Monster . That send 30km was very,very tough but it was also very rewarding . The quad track and single track next to the river was just reward not to mention those DH's !! pity they over so quickly and does not really give you any time to find your legs again ! We made a lot of stops in the last bit and handed you food to some of the poor people in the back who did not plan for the race !! We also offered miss speedy some but it looked like she was in a hurry and did not stop .