In search of the Holy deep section clincher Grail

globaledge

Hi. Advice from Hubbers needed...

I want to buy deep section carbon clinchers for training/racing. I don't want to go for tubbies. Its between Zipp 404s or Corima Aero Plus. The Zipps are marginally heavier than the Corimas. I'm also looking at the Corima Aero Plus Tubeless. Does anyone have any advice on any of these wheels to help make up my mind.

thanks Keith

Before you make up your mind. Have you considered Reynolds wheels?

I dont have any, but if I was in the same dilemma as yours, I would look at them. I dont know how available they are here in SA though...

You are in Western Cape and want deep sections to train on.Do you train on a IDT?Big%20smile

There is a set of Flashpoint(old pre-dimple ZIPP) wheels in the classifieds at a bargain price.

If you can afford the Tubeless Corima's I would head down that road.

Just bought the Shamal Tubelessand riding them with the Hutchi Fusions is awesome. Pressure at 120PSI, responsive yet if you puncture just throw in a tube.

With he Corima's you get a great weight, aero wheel with the ride near as damn a tubby (maybe better?) with the puncture option while out riding of a tube. Hutchi now have 3 tubeless tyres as options, Training (1) Racing (2).
101SCC2009-07-02 00:11:20

I did my own little research a month or so back.

Bottom line.....I bought Zipps.

Before you make up your mind. Have you considered Reynolds wheels?

I dont have any' date=' but if I was in the same dilemma as yours, I would look at them. I dont know how available they are here in SA though...
[/quote']

There is a set Reynolds haning in Westedene cycles.

I went through to go have a look.  I am very dissapointed in them.  The general finish of the wheels is VERY poor.   Not something I am going to fork out R15k for.

Have a look at the Easton Wheels. I have a set - really light and responsive.

Dont forget that Ritchey now have Carbon clinchers with the rims made by Lew. Very light but not sure if they are available in SA yet.

Do yourself a favour and check out Flashpoint FP60 wheels (Speak to Marco at Cycletech in Jhb), essentially Zipp404's without the dimples. IMO - excellent value/product for the money.

The holy grail of deep section clinchers is this:

http://www.carbonsports.com/Produkte/Lightweight/Modelle/Speichenrad/klein/LW_Standard_C_Detail_2.jpg

Lightweight Standard C (clincher)

Light (1150 grams per set), stiff, aero. Imo the ultimate clincher.

On the expensive side at around R45 000 per set.

I have Corima Aero tubbies and only use them for racing, that way its not such a pain running tubbies. I have clincher wheels for training. Better for t-boning cars and so on.

I decided that if I was going to spend a bunch on wheels I didn't want the weight penalty of clinchers (and I don't have 45k for Lightweights!).

Good advice. What do you think of your Corimas? There does'nt  seem to be too much of a weight penalty with the Corima Aero Plus clinchers. Why did you go for the Corimas instead of Zipps? Thanks Keith

I have a brand new set of Reynolds DV Carbon clinchers for sale R10 000.00 Campy body.

The finish of Reynolds does look a bit dull,as they  sell the wheels as they come out the mould, no coat of glossy paint to cover up all the blemishes.

I like my Corimas but they are they only deep section tubbies I have owned so I don't know how they compare to others (stiffness etc). I read a lot online and it seems there is not too much difference aero wise and so on between corimas zipps and some others. I got them in as new condition second hand for 10k.

They are the only thing I have bought for my bike that made an immediate speed difference though. It really is a km per hour or so if you are doing 35+.

I now also have flashpoint 60 clinchers. They feel similar but are much heavier due in part to powertap sl hub so I won't race those except on double century when flatting a tubbie would annoy my team. Bought them for the PT.

Hi. Sounds interesting. Could you e-mail a pic to keith.rosmarin@pixie.co.za Are they the 46 rims and what year. I'm riding Shimano which is a pity, but I'll check on cost of bodies. Cheers Keith