Riding like a kid

Hog_

Just came back from a ride at the park. Rode with a youngster who pretty much lives there, think his name is Luka, he's about 12 or so. I can't remember when last I had so much fun on the bike!

The thing about riding with a kid is that you start riding like a kid. You jump over everything, ride stuff you normally wouldn't at speeds you normally wouldn't and generally wreak havoc on the trails.

As adults we learn that there are rules and restrictions and we learn to live within these. We also don't heal as fast so we tend to be a bit more careful. Today I saw new lines in the park that I would never have thought of. Jumping from the wooden bridge into the tunnel, jumping down the drops, etc. The creativity that kids see in the normal stuff is amazing. I understand now why there's always crap all over the Trials course when we get there - the kids see it differently.

So, here's my advice. When you go on your next ride, slow it down a bit. Look around, and look for those things you normally wouldn't do. Is there a jump you can do? A log you can balance on? A wallride you can hit? Then DO IT! Stop thinking about it and start having fun! You'll feel like a kid again, and you'll probably come home like a kid as well, full of dirt, mud and scratches, but with a huge smile on your face.

Isn't that what MTBing is about?

"Isn't that what MTBing is about?"

YES.!!

Just get out there and enjoy it. That is why most of the guys I cycle with are at least 25 years younger than me. 
jagwil2009-07-07 03:19:39

Look around' date=' and look for those things you normally wouldn't do. Is there a jump you can do? A log you can balance on? A wallride you can hit? Then DO IT!
[/quote']

Remember what happened last time I did that .....  Ouch

Look around' date=' and look for those things you normally wouldn't do. Is there a jump you can do? A log you can balance on? A wallride you can hit? Then DO IT!
[/quote']

Oh, yes! I remember your nasty fall. To jump over that gap you really need to go very fast but there is not enough distance to gather that speed. I just walk over it Embarrassed

There's a goat called Luka and it can ride a bike?

Now that you mention it, the little punk does climb like a goat...

[/quote']

I also remember you smiling at the clubhouse, despite the blood running down your face.

[/quote']

I also remember you smiling at the clubhouse, despite the blood running down your face.

On that point you are 100% correctBig%20smile I still enjoy riding but I am starting to get upset with that holly rolla oke keep making snide remarks about my technical ability Wink

On that point you are 100% correctBig%20smile I still enjoy riding but I am starting to get upset with that holly rolla oke keep making snide remarks about my technical ability Wink

I think the gap at your crash site is much bigger than the gap at HR's crash site. You just managed to fall on your head. LOL

You know, I do have a skills clinic coming up...

Wink

I think the gap at your crash site is much bigger than the gap at HR's crash site. You just managed to fall on your head. LOL

You know' date=' I do have a skills clinic coming up...
Wink

[/quote']

excuse me?Angrythere were two gaps at my crash site, and i didn't end up in casualty?Tongue

Hmm - an unfortunate recent incident has led me to question the wisdom of riding like a kidWink and like BigBen I did end up in casualty. But wounds heal and I'll be back on that bridge soon!

Remember - you have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up!