To go rigid fork or not on single speed

SteveS

Hi

I have a rockshox tora 302 (2.4kgs) on my single speed GT. I find the front quite a bit heavy compared to the back sans Derailleur and cassette. I am playing with the idea of going for a carbon rigid fork (0.75kg) with a larger front tyre i.e. 2.3. This would give me a weight saving of 1.5 kgs off the front of the bike. I use  the single speed when I train on my own, mostly on the Spruit. 

How forgiving is a carbon rigid or can I kiss my wrists goodbye. Anyone have experience with carbon rigids. Should I maybe just look out for a good deal on a Rockshox Sid or similar.

Thanks

Steve

Ive got a 2.35 tyre on my rigid ss. Because its tubeless I run it at a low pressure. It makes a big differance and is not as harsh on your arms.

Really nice on a SS - you stand quite a lot and hence no give up front is great.

Ultimately comes down to personal preferecne and terrain - but I'd say give it a go!

don't know about carbon, but can tell you that even alu takes it out of you on a rigid...so, er, that's kinda my way of saying...go for it!

I'm running rigid forks on both my 29ers.

The single speed has a Chro-Moly fork (29x2.35) whilst the On-One has a Carbon (29x2.1). My carbon fork looks exactly the same as the one you are interested in. In fact, most carbon rigid forks are made in the same factory.

I have over the past 8 months of riding the singlespeed adjusted my riding style to account for the lack of suspension, although I still ride the gnarly downhill on Mellville Koppies and still do the double gap jump on the black route at the Bike Park. The carbon is slightly more forgiving than the Chro-Moly but I haven't spent anywhere near as much time riding that as opposed to the singlespeed.

Who needs a squishy fork ? Unless you ride downhill on freeride then a rigid is the way to go.

Thanks Thug for your input. That settles it rigid fork here I come

You won't be sorry.

The Spruit doesn't require a squishy fork !