What bike?

thefugitive

Ok, so the missus is keen to start cycling now.. I doubt it will be long for her to pick up off road riding techniques so i don't want to go out and buy her a cheap bike for her to out grow its features in 3 months so probably something in an intermediate range and want the bike to have hydraulic disk brakes..

What would you all suggest we look at??

Like i said, don't want to break the bank and if she progresses nicely, would move her on to my bike and i will get a flasher one! Wink

Just remember, no matter what bike you start off with, a cyclist will always want an upgrade after 3 months.

The more expensive the bike is now, the more expensive the upgrade will be in 3 months time.

She is almost 6ft so it will be a large frame.. I am not sure on which to go for with regards to full suspension or hard tail.. Maybe hardtail to start and then she can upgrade to my full sus later down the line.. Ermm

I'm 6ft and my bike's a medium... 17.5 inch, to be exact. So she might be better suited to something other than a large. Just try them all out before saying "she's a large gal!"

For a budget-beater (under 6k) you can't go wrong with Felt. The Q620 has hydraulic discs, deore components and a reasonable (in the entry-level range) fork. Silverback are also very good, but for the same spec you're looking at about 7k. Schwinn also do a good entry-level bike, the Mesa, which is almost on a par with the Felt wrt the value for money stakes.

Yeah, that's true...

but if his budget is in the 6k region, the Mesa or Felt are the best options...

Saying that, it all hinges on what his definition of "breaking the bank" turns out to be.

WTF?!?!?! Man i hate spammers!

Thanks guys for all the info. I was looking between the R6-R7k mark so will have to take a drive around and check out the various different options!