Cleat Position

slowtwitch

no we won't. Personal choice will always prevail.

Hah! Rampant mass stupidity wins any day!

I try and get my 4 year old girl to pedal more with her ball of her foot. Mybe she know something I should knowLOL

I have seen that and related story somewhere before...what were the benefits again?

I guess you'll use your quads more, your calves less.

According to cyclingnews.com (search for mid-foot cleat position) people report higher steady power, higher threshold power (better 60min TT, better 5min TT), but lower peak power (slower sprints, slower 10sec acceleration)

Basically, in steady efforts, your calf has to tense to transfer power from your quad to your pedal, but it doesn't add anything.  If you remove or reduce the leverage on the ankle, you'll reduce the stress on the calf, so your quad gets more blood, and transfers more of the energy.

It can be more complicated though: does the calf really add nothing?  In sprints, does ankling add power?  What about when you have a weak or a strong core?  Does the human foot support stress there?  Does the human foot need to support stress there if you have a very stiff carbon sole?

Then you have to ask if locking your ankle like that doesn't put extra stress on your knee or other ligaments?  Your hips?

And then there are other considerations, like how do you walk on cleats like that?  Do you bump your front wheel against your toes more?  You need shoes that support it, and a bike with a longer top tube, but a shorter head tube, so it's a serious expense.