Pedal install - Dumb Hubber Award

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja, luckily (1) Car came off worst with lekka big cratch across boot (2) LBS owner came off second worse with elbow & knee scratches - he actually tried leaping off the bike ....(3) MY bike was saved...only sidebar scratch - it sort of lanbed on top of XXXX??? (Hmmm, he's not revealing himself!!)

LOLLOL

Cbrunsdun, pedal threads on cranks can be fixed by an engineer. I stripped a raceface crank once when it loosend (spelling?jagwil?)  itself on the trail. Drilled out the thread and had an insert pressed in from the back. Did it in S/West, Riaan Bosman organised it for me, William will have his number.

This works if you don't want to replace crank, but in all honesty I'd upgrade it. Because new stuff is fun!

Thanks muddy_p

The one pedal is perfect while the other was seriously skew. Re-threaded with brute force, shifting spanner and alan-key and its better. Will give it a 2nd go tonight as its nearly flush with the crank arm.

But I'm looking at upgrading my crankarms anyway - just a bit lower on cash than what I had anticipated.

Thanks muddy_p

The one pedal is perfect while the other was seriously skew. Re-threaded with brute force' date=' shifting spanner and alan-key and its better. Will give it a 2nd go tonight as its nearly flush with the crank arm.

But I'm looking at upgrading my crankarms anyway - just a bit lower on cash than what I had anticipated.

[/quote']

I would seriously consider getting new cranks or look at getting the threads repaired with inserts.

I imagine this re-threading procedure you have described would seriously weaken the threads. especially since you have done it twice now and are considering a third attempt at one of them. If the threads give up and and your pedals "break" off while riding you will know all about it.

Thanks muddy_p

The one pedal is perfect while the other was seriously skew. Re-threaded with brute force' date=' shifting spanner and alan-key and its better. Will give it a 2nd go tonight as its nearly flush with the crank arm.

[/quote']

I would seriously consider getting new cranks or look at getting the threads repaired with inserts.

I imagine this re-threading procedure you have described would seriously weaken the threads. especially since you have done it twice now and are considering a third attempt at one of them. If the threads give up and and your pedals "break" off while riding you will know all about it.

Yeah!! nad according to Murphy's law....it WILL happen at the furtherest point of the course...without cell reception as well!

I've passed a guy in race like that...it was quite funny to see him try & pedal on one crank!! Still had ~15km to do....

Thanks for the advice. The pedal is slightly off center, not an issue. Only half the thread was re-threaded so their is still enough grip. Could always just use some locktight

cbrunsdon2009-07-29 07:55:03

I know of a bloke who fitted the mudflaps to the FRONT of the wheel arches on his first car..................

Inspected my pedals carefully tonight and the one that is not flush is nearly flush. The small gap is about a fleas ball-hairs width. No real issue and I'm going to leave it alone for now.

You might just cry when the thread finally strips on a landing or when you're mashing a climb. I'd suggest getting a helicoil fitted, it may save you an injury (or at least a long one-legged ride home)