Why are tandems so expensive?

Western Flyer

I have been looking at buying a tandem so that my daughter and I can ride together.  Nothing fancy, something like Tiagra or Sora components or if mountain bike components something of similar quality.  Everything that I have seen so far around the R3k mark have been a load of rubbish.  I know it is a buyers market at the moment where you can quite easily pick up a good entry level road or MTB bike between R3 - R4k.

Is there such a difference or is it simply a matter of supply and demand?

Unfortunately its as your final remark says.

Simple economics of supply and demand.

And the market is actually not growing.....

FUEL tandems no longer available,

TITAN tandems no longer available,

TREK stopped their manufacture of tandems,

Also bear in mind, you are shopping in effect for two bikes, so if your budget is between R3-4k, then you can expect similar value as for a R1500 - R2000 (half-a-bike - As Mdk555 likes to call a std bike).

R1.5-2k dont buy you much bike, road not mtb.

Guest Big H

Contact Arshad at Solomons Gifts in Pretoria North (012 - 546 0243) They have (had) some Fuel Tandems in stock, but do NOT expect to pay R5000-00 for them. The tandem market is extremely small and after a few years of very good growth it is slowing down again. Unlike the USA we only have limitel exposure to Tandem models and makes. The only current Tandem I know of is Raleigh, that has also unfortunately become prohibitively expensive.

Your best bet is to continually scan Junk Mail and and newspapers advertisements. You may be lucky. Older Hansom and steel framed Puegeout Tandems are still regularly available with older seven to nine speed groupsets. Other makes may also become available. You must just ensure that you research what you need and build a good knowledge of groupsets, wheelsets and other. remember you must make sure you get the most value for your R5000-00 that you want to spend.

Trust me, you don't want a cheap tandem. I've had one fail on me at speed, and it's no fun. Rather bite the bullet and get something decent 2nd hand.

Guest Big H
Trust me' date=' you don't want a cheap tandem. I've had one fail on me at speed, and it's no fun. Rather bite the bullet and get something decent 2nd hand.[/quote']

Would you care to tell us what failed on your Tandem. Frame, fork, or wheels?????

Riding tandem could be quite an expensive break up, I mean they say that it's a make or break for a relationship Confused

Thanks for all those who have responded for your input.

Big H, I have looked in the Junk Mail and have seen something that I can work with.  Structurally (frame and wheels) it looks OK but I will have to spend a little bit on the brakes, cranks and gears to get it working smoothly.

WW, no relation to Western Flyer the bicycle manufacturer. I live in the West Rand (K'dorp) and wish I were fast enough to call myself a flyer.  BTW good to see you making progress after you accident.

Trust me' date=' you don't want a cheap tandem. I've had one fail on me at speed, and it's no fun. Rather bite the bullet and get something decent 2nd hand.[/quote']

?

Would you care to tell us what failed on your Tandem. Frame, fork, or wheels?????

The fork, just below the crown. At 75km/h on Ou Kaapse Weg. It was an old Peugeot, made (I think) from plumbing pipe glued together with French cheese.

Will definitely own another (better) tandem again, they're great fun.

Guest Big H

The fork, just below the crown. At 75km/h on Ou Kaapse Weg. It was an old Peugeot, made (I think) from plumbing pipe glued together with French cheese.

The Peugeot was structurally very well made.... for the time. Their Achilles heel was the fork. If upgraded to something better, (steel with steel steerer and dedicated Tandem fork) you will a very strong but heavy tandem. Our Tandem el rapido has had a steel fork for many years. I have now upgraded to a carbon fork. When upgrading to a carbon fork ENSURE it is a Tandem dedicated or designed fork and not a fork to be used for cyclo cross. This may be very dangerous. Our new Raleigh T6000 also has a carbon fork.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

?

The Peugeot was structurally very well made.... for the time. Their Achilles heel was the fork. If upgraded to something better, (steel with steel steerer and dedicated Tandem fork) you will a very strong but heavy tandem. Our Tandem el rapido has had a steel fork for many years. I have now upgraded to a carbon fork. When upgrading to a carbon fork ENSURE it is a Tandem dedicated or designed fork and not a fork to be used for cyclo cross. This may be very dangerous. Our new Raleigh T6000 also has a carbon fork.< id="gwProxy" =""><!--Session -->< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">

Thanks for the heads up, a pity it's about 10 years late... good to know the rest of the frame's good, but still not so sure I'd trust it again.

Tandems are pricey.

Special Frame and Fork, Special Wheels, Special Cables, Special Cranks, Special Brakes, 2 Bars, 2 Stems you see where I am going with this, EXPENSIVE!

FUEL tandems no longer available' date='

[/quote']

What actually happened to the Fuel brand? I assume it was a generic brand, but I used to see quite a few of em around. Did they stop manufacturing them or did the Importer just stop bringing them in?

There is a Hansom tandem at Big Bucks Swop shop in PE..maybe they will ship. The frame looks good, needs one saddle so maybe you can get it for a sweet price

FUEL tandems no longer available' date='

[/quote']

What actually happened to the Fuel brand? I assume it was a generic brand, but I used to see quite a few of em around. Did they stop manufacturing them or did the Importer just stop bringing them in?

FUEL were braught in by Western Flyer, I dont know why they stopped bringing them in.

FUEL became TITAN, via different distributor, but unfortunately the numbers (i.e. demand) for tandems, is not enough to get them to bring in another container of tandems.Confused.