Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Anyone recognise these legs???

http://d7ab823tjbf2qywyt3grgq63.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Kelly_v21.jpg

The hard man from Ireland?  Sean Kelly?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only vein that bulges like that is on my temple when I have to fetch something from the Post Office someone cuts in front of me!

Fixed it to apply to me too.

Thanks to a long weekend curtesy of our gov, I finally got around to finishing off my Peugeot PX10 or PY10. Feel free to enlighten me further to the difference between the P10's as the net's been contradictory.

Still need another Stronglight crank dust cap for the none drive side. Please check! note it is French threaded.  :mellow: 

Peugeot PX10

That's a beauty. Love the old cranks. We're these ever manufactured in SA or were they fully imported? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but I don'the see any waterbottle cage bolts.

]That's a beauty. Love the old cranks. We're these ever manufactured in SA or were they fully imported? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but I don'the see any waterbottle cage bolts.

Thank you. No, the PX, PY frames were all imported and never manufactured in SA. No water bottle, down tube bosses or rear stay gear cable stop were brazed on but it does have pump pegs. I will attach a water bottle cage on the handle bars before I take it for a ride this weekend.

The Stronglight cranks are either 105s or 78-79's but I think the former Modele Depose'. Factory drilled. I love the five star shape.

I have a electronic link to the catalogue for the bike and will post later.

post-44986-0-78275100-1491893021_thumb.jpeg

post-44986-0-75414800-1491893102_thumb.jpeg

so what do i have here

peugeot steel frame (i can tell by rust) chrome dropouts size 55 ish marked AERO executive (has a eliptical down tube ) prestige peugeot

suntour symmetric shifters-  6 speed - superbe solida crank - suntour ARX derailleurs

Dia-compe ac500 brakeset -Sakae bars marked custom world champion  - suntour wheelset  271/4 + chromed QRs - sr100 japan pedals

its horrible but it all seems to work shift etc although the brakes leave a bit to the imagination(you imagine you will stop but you dont )

number - 30 711 stamped into the dropout but no number under the crank on frame

anyone? is it worth saving or should I just keep it as is (add oil)

post-85316-0-59162400-1491910375_thumb.jpg

post-85316-0-40367500-1491910392_thumb.jpg

post-85316-0-10271400-1491910402_thumb.jpg

post-85316-0-39345400-1491910413_thumb.jpg

post-85316-0-68552500-1491910422_thumb.jpg

Edited by bikebloke

]That's a beauty. Love the old cranks. We're these ever manufactured in SA or were they fully imported? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but I don'the see any waterbottle cage bolts.

Thank you. No, the PX, PY frames were all imported and never manufactured in SA. No water bottle, down tube bosses or rear stay gear cable stop were brazed on but it does have pump pegs. I will attach a water bottle cage on the handle bars before I take it for a ride this weekend.

The Stronglight cranks are either 105s or 78-79's but I think the former Modele Depose'. Factory drilled. I love the five star shape.

I have a electronic link to the catalogue for the bike and will post later.

Thanks LC.

Thought they might have been available on import only, back in the day, but not quite sure.

Rebuilt an old Peugeot Classique a few years back and had a difficult time finding out much about Peugeot bicycles in SA in the 70's & 80's.

Am I correct then to say that the only Peugeot's manufactured in SA were the Rapport, LeMans, Mirage and Classique? All others imported?

Please post a few pic's once you completed.

Thanks

anyone? is it worth saving or should I just keep it as is (add oil)

whatever you do, it would be a great ride for next year's Eroica

whatever you do, it would be a great ride for next year's Eroica

yeah im just afraid ill get coodies from sitting on it

I have no idea which end to start cleaning first and its rusting a bit here and there  all over so  it might not be here by next eroica :wacko:

Hi Peugeot fans. Here are some of the links I used to research my baby. Enjoy

http://johns-recycled-bicycle.blogspot.co.za/2014/11/rays-1976-peugeot-py-10-pegeot-prestige.html

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/index.html

Bikebloke. That aero frame was quite special in the day and dates to the era at the beginning of the triathlon boom. The Suntour parts were well made and they made an impact on the Campagnolo parts which were pretty crappy at that stage. Unfortunately Suntour was swallowed up by Shitmano.

The parts look original so check out their dates on the Velo Base website to determine the date of the frame.

I like the bit of chrome on the frame and fork ends. My advise would be to strip and repaint the frame as its rusting (don't re-chrome the fork and stays). Making sure you don't spend too much as the bike completely restored will not be worth more than +-R4,000. Peugeot not yet as collectable in SA. 

Hi Peugeot fans. Here are some of the links I used to research my baby. Enjoy

http://johns-recycled-bicycle.blogspot.co.za/2014/11/rays-1976-peugeot-py-10-pegeot-prestige.html

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/index.html

Bikebloke. That aero frame was quite special in the day and dates to the era at the beginning of the triathlon boom. The Suntour parts were well made and they made an impact on the Campagnolo parts which were pretty crappy at that stage. Unfortunately Suntour was swallowed up by Shitmano.

The parts look original so check out their dates on the Velo Base website to determine the date of the frame.

I like the bit of chrome on the frame and fork ends. My advise would be to strip and repaint the frame as its rusting (don't re-chrome the fork and stays). Making sure you don't spend too much as the bike completely restored will not be worth more than +-R4,000. Peugeot not yet as collectable in SA. 

thanks

most of the bits place it in 1980s

its very likely that it will get some kind of a slop with rust stop some new bar tape (and possibly some oil in strategic places) and a saddle that you can actually sit on and then ill ride it around for a laugh while wearing my old Peugeot casquette and jersey just to irritate my carbon racing brothers :clap:

Edited by bikebloke

Hi Sean, I am afraid I don't have much info on SA built Peugeots but I am sure Heyyou will provide some info. 

well just while im here the crank is missing one of its caps

superbe racing equipment off a superbe solida crankset

if someone has one lying around in their "box" let me know :thumbup:

and a suggestion for a product to stop the rust would be welcome also

post-85316-0-91496200-1491926493_thumb.jpg

Edited by bikebloke

Hi Sean, I am afraid I don't have much info on SA built Peugeots but I am sure Heyyou will provide some info.

Hi LC. Many thanks. I'll reach out to him. Would be interesting to find out more about the local history. Sean

Hi, wondering if anybody can help.

When I was about 12 my Ouma gave me my first bicycle, a pink and yellow Lejeune MTB, think t was a DirtBuster with Shimano SIS 3 x 6 if I remember correctly. About a 1994 model. She won it in some competition. I loved it.

Shortly after wards it was stolen from a friends house.

I am desperately trying to find one again.... any help or direction would be massively appreciated.

Thanks