Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Rudo, here is a picture of an Alan fork. The ALAN is stamped into the crown lug on each side and normally filled in with black paint.

By the way, this is my Alan track frame I need to sell as it's too big for me. I bought it thinking that if I washed it in very hot water it would shrink from a 58/60 to 52/54..................!

post-44986-0-46190800-1408448738_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-15749600-1408448787_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.............. I bought it thinking that if I washed it in very hot water it would shrink from a 58/60 to 52/54..................!

Real optimist you! :D

Any idea which Nago this is? Original paint but scratched and chipped. Only markings is the Colnago inscription on chainstays and the clover's in lugs. Top tube and downtube are ribbed. I doubt its a Master as they all had chrome lugs (as if I know what I'm talking about). Possibly a Super?

post-13716-0-93568500-1408464932_thumb.jpg

post-13716-0-94245700-1408464971_thumb.jpg

post-13716-0-33986400-1408465497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cippo

They don't look like Alan forks!!!

Alan forks were lugged, literally and had ALAN on the crown, or on the side of the crow.

Can you post some more pics

Hmm seems like some more research is on the cards! Will post close ups of fork tomorrow

Aluminium Lugged forks... Scary stuff :)

Also just a side note, those frames never got painted, they are Anodized.

So be careful if you going to water paper the raw alu.

May be wise to do a bit of research before climbing into the frame.

Nice ride by the way.

Going to leave the frame as is. Just going to touch up here and there. Shiny bits to polished etc as well as cranks.

Just a question...in terms of looks: bar tape: black or white? Want to do the cables in black. And definitely a new saddle...

Any idea which Nago this is? Original paint but scratched and chipped. Only markings is the Colnago inscription on chainstays and the clover's in lugs. Top tube and downtube are ribbed. I doubt its a Master as they all had chrome lugs (as if I know what I'm talking about).

Possibly a Super?

I would put that at an early to mid 80's frame. You say the tubes are ribbed, could be a spiral conic. Made from modified Columbus SLX tubing. Would be nice to see the actual top tube. The shape is different to the way the masters tubing is. Not all colnago came out with chrome lugs.

Any idea which Nago this is? Original paint but scratched and chipped. Only markings is the Colnago inscription on chainstays and the clover's in lugs. Top tube and downtube are ribbed. I doubt its a Master as they all had chrome lugs (as if I know what I'm talking about).

Possibly a Super?

I would put that at an early to mid 80's frame. You say the tubes are ribbed, could be a spiral conic. Made from modified Columbus SLX tubing. Would be nice to see the actual top tube. The shape is different to the way the masters tubing is. Not all colnago came out with chrome lugs.

From pics on the net it looks like a Super. The Master had a straight fork and lugs were more lavish. Could possibly also be a Mexico. Gonna have a better look tomorrow.

that's cool. I wish I still had my first mtb from around that era.

I still have my 1989 Claud Butler Shaman, pics earlier in this thread.

From pics on the net it looks like a Super. The Master had a straight fork and lugs were more lavish. Could possibly also be a Mexico. Gonna have a better look tomorrow.

It could be a Super but more probably a Mexico. Should be Columbus Sl tubing. This frame was made in the early 80s I think . Maybe 82/83

If it has fluted tubes it won't be a super.

If you can post a picture showing the tube flutes.

Also the original masters came with curved forks.

I have a 86 master and it has a curved for. I also have the straight fork. But it originally came with a curved one.

If the tubes are fluted it's either a Master or a Spiral Conic.

If it has fluted tubes it won't be a super.

If you can post a picture showing the tube flutes.

Also the original masters came with curved forks.

I have a 86 master and it has a curved for. I also have the straight fork. But it originally came with a curved one.

If the tubes are fluted it's either a Master or a Spiral Conic.

If I can see correctly from the photo , the tubes are crimped rather than the diamond shape characteristic of the Master frames . This was Colnago's first foray into experimenting with alternative shaped tubing . When producing the Sarroni frames around the same time , Colnago used slightly oval shaped tubing and also tapered the tubing from a fatter section in the middle to a more slender profile at the lugs . In cheaper tubing of course - mostly Columbus Aelle .

Just confirmed again that people hanging out in this thread knows more about bicycles than the rest of the Hub put together and they are keen to share. :thumbup: