Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Hi. .Here she is all polished up and ready to ride. But unfortunately the size is to big for me.

Anybody interested in this ?

Nice .My size and all

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how we rode them back then. They are period correct !

Yip. If you put a ruler on the bottom of the bar the tip of the lever should just touch the ruler. Them's the rules.

Now I'm nitpicking, but please move the levers up on those bars. just doesn't look right like that!

You are correct, they are a bit low. Thanks

I have just bought an old le Jeune "Super Prestige", and the brake hoods (shimano rsx) were squishy and sticky, so cut them off. Wondering now if that was a bad idea, but they were so horrible. Does anybody know where to get some, or have some lying around? I'll post pics of the bike this weekend.

Going to ask here as I may have better luck than in the buyer's guide I tried, 90s Super Record and Campag Shamal deep section wheels...anyone able to give me a rough idea what a fair price would be? Need them for my Dad's Tomassini rebuild and I may have a shot at acquiring them. BUT...I really need to know what the S African market value would be. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Hi, I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you need:

1. A 90s Campagnolo Super Record Group set? If you do, it would be C-Record,or Record - Super Record was stopped in 1987 and introduced again only in 2007/8.

But, whatever, there are a number of variations. Early 90s would be downtube shifters, in both friction and Syncro, in either 7 or 8 speeds. Whereas from 1992/93 would be Ergo levers in either 8 or 9 speeds.

So you could expect to pay up to R8k / R9k for a top end C Record groupo with Delta Brakes and 8spd Ergos, seat post, hubs etc.

And down from there, but probably not less than R4k for a groupo.

2. Campag Shamal deep section wheels, like them, but I don't know much about them, other than were introduced in about '92. Not sure whatnthey would cost, overseas about R6k a pair, but here I don't know.

If you find more than 1 pair will you PM me, PLEASE!!!!

Even better, if you find a set of Gipiemme Tecnos, let me know.

Hello fellow retro lovers :). Here are my bikes, in the order in which I got them. I started buying and still do buy retro bikes because their beauty and ride quality FAR exceed anything else I'll be able to afford for some time. All except the blue bike need a bit of TLC, which I will give them after my exams finish next week. I am in love with old bikes, particularly this first one:

post-47970-0-13905000-1383423484_thumb.jpg

I have put too many km to count on this bike, and had my only car-accident. The impact broke the rear Mavic ma2 rim. Not knowing much about fixing bikes at the time, and having the assurance of the driver that he would pay for the damages, I took it to the LBS, who replaced the rear wheel with a cheap piece of rubbish which broke a number of times (I never even got my old hub back) before I replaced both wheels with a pair of old Campagnolo "Omega" rims on some Campagnolo hubs - not sure which.

I then decided to get a mountain bike, and through the enormous generosity of a friend's Dad aquired this 1991 Raleigh Chill ("Technium") as a failing single speed conversion and converted it to a 1x8 :). A lovely bike to ride, though I still need to do a couple updates: I want to upgrade the shifter to dura ace barend (on paul's thumbies) and the chainring to a narrow-wide, sort out some problems with the tubeless conversion and tune the brakes a little.

-The frame is aluminium tubing with steel lugs, rear triangle and fork.

-Brooks saddle.

-Bars and brake levers are aftermarket.

-Brakes and cranks are original deore lx

-Wheels are araya CV 7 rims on shimano deore lx hubs. I assume they are original but not sure.

post-47970-0-85071700-1383423763_thumb.jpg

I then aquired this Eddy Merckx on my birthday, though more as a present from my gumtree addiction to myself than anything else. Has some strange features, including bent bars from a crash and cranks of lengths 175 and 170 :ph34r:.

-Full shimano 105 (except the one crank arm)

-Nitto Stem

-Wolber TX profil rims on 105 hubs

post-47970-0-09595700-1383425629_thumb.jpg

I didn't realise there would be such a difference, but this bike has a ride quality far superior to my old love. It's a bit small for me but I think I will keep it nonetheless. Looking at the serial number I think this is a Corsa Extra from 1986 (http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/).

My latest purchase is a le Jeune "Super Prestige". It fits me better than the merckx, but doesn't feel quite as stable. The brake hoods were decayed to sticky goo, so I cut them off and I'll try and find some replacements. I need to redo the cabling and grease the bb bearings, and will then then whether to keep this or the Merckx.

-Shimano 105

-Nitto Stem

-Kashima sadde - has anyone heard of these?

-Reynolds 525

-Mavic ma4 and wolber T410 Alpine rims on 105 hubs

post-47970-0-75401800-1383425640_thumb.jpg

post-47970-0-05797800-1383425655_thumb.jpg

Anybody have any suggestions?

I can't justify keeping three road bikes, so I'll be selling two of them soon, most likely the le Jeune, and the blue bike. Anybody keen?

Also, many thanks to Nils, for always being extremely helpful despite my constant desire to spend as little as possible, as well as the generous soul who parted with their Paul's Thumbies mount in exchange for promised baking..

Edited by MainRoader

A friend and I also built up this old le jeune for a friend's birthday. Much was our dismay when we realised at 3am on the day that the 700c tyres we had bought were too small for the 635mm rims aka 28 - 1 1/2. We gave it to him without tyres, and, surprisingly, found some at Olympic Cycles. If there is anything to say about that shop it is that they have an astounding selection of tyres with literally no order to their placement. Anyhow, here's the bike.

post-47970-0-42946500-1383429475_thumb.jpg

This bike came with a brooks plastic saddle. Why would anyone put a plastic saddle (presumably to make it lightweight?) on a a bike that really seems designed for general work/commuting, rather than for racing?'

edit: apologies for the upside down photo - I tried to rotate it but it refuses...

Edited by MainRoader

Anybody have any suggestions?

I can't justify keeping three road bikes, so I'll be selling two of them soon, most likely the le Jeune, and the blue bike. Anybody keen?

Also, many thanks to Nils, for always being extremely helpful despite my constant desire to spend as little as possible, as well as the generous soul who parted with their Paul's Thumbies mount in exchange for promised baking..

That Eddy Merckx isn't an Eddy Merckx. The fork is wrong, the brake guides are wrong and the chainstays are not stamped where they meet the seat tube.

That Eddy Merckx isn't an Eddy Merckx. The fork is wrong, the brake guides are wrong and the chainstays are not stamped where they meet the seat tube.

That would be most upsetting if it were the case. The fork does seem wrong, but the chainstays are stamped where they meet the seat tube, as are the arches that the brakes bolt on to (the brake guides?). That said, I do want to know whether it's genuine or not - this there anything else I should look for? I'll take pictures of the things you mentioned

Edit: Here are the stamps on the brake guides, seat stays, rear dropouts, and bb. The bike seems to have been in a crash many years ago, which is probably why the fork is not original (I also couldn't see any writing on the front dropouts), the bars are bent, and the paint job is something new.

post-47970-0-06315700-1383436228_thumb.jpg

post-47970-0-03733000-1383436234_thumb.jpg

post-47970-0-01211100-1383436260_thumb.jpg

post-47970-0-08859800-1383436249_thumb.jpg

post-47970-0-02563600-1383436255_thumb.jpg

post-47970-0-18611800-1383436266_thumb.jpg

Does this seem more authentic? I didn't know there were any copies other than the falcon one, but I don't know much.

Edited by MainRoader

Apologies, couldn't see the stamped stays in the pic. One way to check if its a Corsa Extra is to shine a torch in the BB looking into the seat tube. Columbus SLX tubing is 'Rifled'. You should see ribs runing vertically down the tube. The fork does look wrong, but you never know. The serial number link you posted is normally quite accurate, i have two 80's Merckxs and they both match up with the serial numbers on that site.

Apologies, couldn't see the stamped stays in the pic. One way to check if its a Corsa Extra is to shine a torch in the BB looking into the seat tube. Columbus SLX tubing is 'Rifled'. You should see ribs runing vertically down the tube. The fork does look wrong, but you never know. The serial number link you posted is normally quite accurate, i have two 80's Merckxs and they both match up with the serial numbers on that site.

THIS KIND OF REPLY IS WHAT MAKES THE HUB GREAT :clap:

Okay, super! Thanks for the info. I'll have a look next week! How about pics of your Merckxs?