Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Saw a 25 anniversary Merckx that looked in great nick but it was around the 58cm mark?!

That's my size...

Were?
Hi gt I saw it at Mean Machine in Germiston!!! Bike in very good nick as well!!

Is it for sale tho?
Yup he asked me if I wanted it so you can definately get it!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a 25 anniversary Merckx that looked in great nick but it was around the 58cm mark?!

That's my size...

Were?
Hi gt I saw it at Mean Machine in Germiston!!! Bike in very good nick as well!!

Is it for sale tho?
Yup he asked me if I wanted it so you can definately get it!

Did he give you a price?

got a 63cm Colnago frame today...I'm a VERY happy chappy.

very happy

(it took me two minutes to type that line because of pure brain vs finger frenzy)

got a 63cm Colnago frame today...I'm a VERY happy chappy.

very happy

(it took me two minutes to type that line because of pure brain vs finger frenzy)
  Well done and post a pic please!!!

waynedude, that would be a helluva coincidence. I must check for chrome.

This coppi has no chrome or decals as she stands at the moment. She's a 62cm, with coppi embossed on the top of the seatpost stay and has the "C" with the wreath embossed on the crown, cut out "C' on bottom of the BB. triangle cut outs on all lugs. damn light frame actually. Will be resprayed before year end and decals already on their way from fast-decals (white). some white modolo team brake callipers and levers will finish her. Just looking for a Fausto saddle! Her name is 'TWITCHY' by the way.smiley4.gif

The titanio is a 58-59 not sure exactly when it comes to these slightly extended seat tubes. Damn expensive frame. Watched the last one reach over 600 quid on e-bay (frameset only).smiley4.gif
tarboy2009-08-21 09:58:18

Hey Guys I've been following this thread with interest takeing a closer look at classic bikes lately.I have seen two bikes that might interest you.At Linden cycles they have a red Colnago for sale.Brett from Bikebay has a Colnago Bi-titanio for sale only problem is it has Ultegra gruppo,but Campy wheelset,you can view on his website.He also has two newer Colnago frames awesome.  

Velo what is the best way to get them shining again?

I use this stuff called Marine Shine which works really well. You can get it from Midas. A lot depends on whether its anodized or not. If its anodized you can just clean the surface, but raw alu you can polish to a nice shine.

The challenge is that these components also receive a clear duco for finish and to stop the onset of oxidation. Particularly the cranks.

The marine shine is in a long blue box and available at almost any good hardware store. Prior to that it may be worth a shot to give a bit of elbow grease with a rubbing compound (eg chemspec 40) . This is beige/brown in colour and as the name suggests is very very fine grit paste used by panel shots. So a very slight scouring action for oxidation build up.

Sometimes the alu oxidation can be quite extreme and the component takes on a mottled appearance

Warning its a lot of elbow grease. So I've wrapped a drill bit heavily with a fluffy cotton cloth and the drill sits in my vice. Battery drills are slower RPM and less noisy than electric. Easier!

The best is to Buff very well, buff just that little longer after you think you've done it and then rinse with acetone.

Now, to really bring it to life a fine duco with clear coat after. Simple hardware shop spray-can duco is cool. As a final touch once the duco has cured well is some polish like the marine shine or simple car wax. 

I have done this to a few stems that really looked dull and grey and the result is excellent.

That deep scuff on the crank is obviouly more diffult but can be made to look a lot more inconspicuous
tarboy2009-08-22 04:36:53

Velo what is the best way to get them shining again?

Chrome!

Otherwise you can get rid of the anodising with sandpaper (220 grit or so) and then polish it up using progressively finer sandpaper before ending with Brasso and Silvo. You can then give it some kind of clear coat.

Need some advise please.....

1989 Pinarello Montello Columus SLX Chromonero frame with full Campy Record

OR

Daccordi Oria frame with slightly earlier full Campy Record

Cool bike. Just some useless trivia' date=' Cinelli and Columbus are part of the same company. [/quote']

Some more trivia: Columbus also make aluminium and carbon tubesets.

Some more useless trivia. The Italian carbon company' date=' ATR, that supplies most Italian bike and car companies(including F1) with their raw materials has gone under. 

Looks like all tubing will be sourced from China in the near future.

I think Time is the only company that actually weaves their own carbon tubes.

[/quote'] And ATR's original relationship began with..............? Yup Colnago!!!

PS. OOPS!!! Bought another one!! Wife is going to flip!!

Battaglin SLX with Suntour Superb Pro on!! Definately the last bike for the year!! Would you believe I managed to find a brand new & complete "old" Ofmega Pronto Gruppo as well! For the folk that don't know this was called the "poor man's Campag" in years gone by!!!
.....and here she is.........................

20090823_011456_P1016818.jpg20090823_011537_P1016823.jpg20090823_011609_P1016826.jpg20090823_011642_P1016832.jpg20090823_011721_P1016833.jpg