Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

My 1982 Alan:

If I became "the dictator of bike design" tomorrow, I would decree that ALL handlebars must be shaped like that. :drool:

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here goes:

1950's Viking, English manufacturer. Nervex lugs with Reynolds 501 tubing - lovely horizontal dropouts

Those lugs are beautiful! 

The Pinarello build so far:

Everything cleaned, polished and fitted. Test fitted some white tape and I'm quite happy with the colour scheme so far which brings about my next dilemma :mellow:  

I'm thinking about using yellow cable outers but none I've come across fits over the Campy gear cable! :thumbdown:  

So, do I have to use the 'normal' Campy kit or has anyone had luck with a specific brand of cable outers that work with Campy cables?

post-64130-0-86095600-1430243311_thumb.jpeg

Guest notmyname

The Pinarello build so far:

Everything cleaned, polished and fitted. Test fitted some white tape and I'm quite happy with the colour scheme so far which brings about my next dilemma :mellow:

I'm thinking about using yellow cable outers but none I've come across fits over the Campy gear cable! :thumbdown:

So, do I have to use the 'normal' Campy kit or has anyone had luck with a specific brand of cable outers that work with Campy cables?

Very saxxy. Those wheels would look great on my Gavia ;) Edited by Soapbox

There was a chrome Carlton for sale in Johannesburg a few weeks ago and I was keen to buy it but pushed for funds for another project at the time.

I bought the Carlton but haven't seen it yet. It is still at a mates house in Jhb. Am really looking forward to getting it and rebuilding with some period correct kit.

I bought the Carlton but haven't seen it yet. It is still at a mates house in Jhb. Am really looking forward to getting it and rebuilding with some period correct kit.

Love the chrome frame of the Charlton and its colourful head badge.

dilemma :mellow:  

I have not had this problem and found I can use Campy cables in other branded casings. The most common after market cable and casing in SA is from Giant.

When you cut the casing try use a quick, sharp snip as it will not cause the internal housings sleeve to deform. If it has take a sharpened spoke and insert it into the casing end to slightly enlarge the entry into the casing.

The cable should then be easily inserted into the casing. Gear casings have a plastic inner sleeve and brake casings a metal inner sleeve. Some expensive casings have more refined sleeve materials to assist cable movement in the sleeve.

Give me a call if you still stuck.

Hi Guys,

I have tried creating a "Help identify the bike" thread but I didn't get much help.

Is there anybody who could help to identify this bicycle or know where I could go to get help?

I have bee told everything from a Schwinn to a GT to a Raleigh, was even told it could be a track frame. This from my LBS.

It is alloy, not steel so would imagine around the early 90's, maybe.

Only sticker says Ciclo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steven

post-35569-0-41416500-1430286004_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-92405200-1430286006_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-61278500-1430286009_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-25792300-1430286012_thumb.jpgpost-35569-0-28503600-1430286015_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-71161200-1430286017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Steven, please post a close up picture of the decal on the seat tube and also have a look if there is any markings under the bottom bracket.

Steven, please post a close up picture of the decal on the seat tube and also have a look if there is any markings under the bottom bracket.

Thanks loose cog, I have attached the pics as requested.

The Serial number says AF1000058

post-35569-0-97820900-1430288266_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-65198700-1430288269_thumb.jpg

Love the chrome frame of the Charlton and its colourful head badge.

Agreed. I really like the Capella lugs

Thanks loose cog, I have attached the pics as requested.

The Serial number says AF1000058

attachicon.gifDSC_0001.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0002.JPG

Sorry, not sure but Giant or Raleigh possible answers. Try giving the LBS whose number is on the chain stay a call they may recall when they used these chain guards and narrow the bike down for you.

Hi Guys,

I have tried creating a "Help identify the bike" thread but I didn't get much help.

Is there anybody who could help to identify this bicycle or know where I could go to get help?

I have bee told everything from a Schwinn to a GT to a Raleigh, was even told it could be a track frame. This from my LBS.

It is alloy, not steel so would imagine around the early 90's, maybe.

Only sticker says Ciclo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steven

attachicon.gifDSC_0125 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0126 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0127 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0128.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_0130.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0131.JPG

TIG welded with NOTICEABLE welds, so probably American or Taiwanese.

I don't think European/UK, although that fork looks suspiciously PEUGEOTesque!

Possibly SA.

Could be PRODUX, SA built ali bikes, from mid 90s, 

Is the Cyclo Pro chain guard new, or has been on there since new?

Rob Rudman would have been the owner when that bike was new, but Cyclo is now run by his daughter. It's worth asking if you really want your bike's provenance.

In the absence of anything better, the answer may be in the fork markings, if you ever strip it!

Sorry can't be of more help.

edit: Produx maybe early 2000, rather than mid 90s, don't remember!!!

Edited by HeyYou

This should bring back some memories. It is a three speed Phillips, English make in the sixties from similar bikes on the net. This one however has a Raleigh South Africa sticker on so may have been assembled locally.post-51655-0-46738400-1430395107_thumb.jpg

I have a pair of nice old high flanged Campagnolo Record track hubs, that I want to use to build up wheels for a fixed gear SS build, who would you suggest I get to build the wheels. JHB or PTA

Edited by RoadKill