Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

front fork:cool straight legs, suicide dropouts!!!!

What are suicide drop-outs? Please don't tell me they're the ones invented before the slow release was perpretrated by the US ambulance-chasing lawyers.

The BB has Cinelli stamped on it because in those days Cinelli made castings and sold them to other frame manufacturers. It also made Cinelli frames. Technically you could find a XYZ bike with Cinelli lugs, Campagnolo drop-outs, Reynolds tubes and....I dunno, Tange fork. It was a mix and match era.

The fork is a later model fork than the frame It has a Cinelli internally-lugged crown. Now that was an engineering disaster.

I have a bunch (six in a bunch, says the flower seller) of 6-speed freewheels. The gear ratio is murderous - 21 biggest if you're lucky. However, this will be suitable for someone restoring a bike with screw-on clusters. The clusters use the Atom fixture system.

If anyone wants one, they're going free. Drop me a line.

paint-stripper, goldy-locs and wire brush attatchment for my grinder.

im scared of sandblasters, and i didnt want to spend the extra cash also!!

i want to try keep the frame raw and abused but it started to rust soo quickly, got sewing machine oil on it for the mean time.

post-9782-040875500 1284730402.jpg

Supplier of Freewheels

You guys with oldies must have a huge problem sourcing screw-on freewheels. These things are bastically extinct. I found this source the other day. They seem to make a decent freewheel with sprockets that aren't made from compressed ****.

http://www.interlocracing.com/freewheels_steel.html

Long live the freewheel!

I don't know the ratios you need but have a look at Take2.

http://more.take2.co.za/uk?sup=uk&deptname=All&qsearch=shimano&subsearch=freewheel

paint-stripper, goldy-locs and wire brush attatchment for my grinder.

im scared of sandblasters, and i didnt want to spend the extra cash also!!

i want to try keep the frame raw and abused but it started to rust soo quickly, got sewing machine oil on it for the mean time.

Hi Monkeyboy, what paint stripper you using? Used to use Nitro Morse, but it's not very environmentally friendly, never mind what it does to your skin if you come in contact with it. I have an alu frame that I want to strip.

Is this yours? Where did you get it? Bloody awesome!

The top two pics are of Campagnolo 35th Anniversary Edition 1969

Extremely beautiful. 24 Karat gold plated.

this is what i call suicide drop-outs!!if its lose it aint staying!!

I agree with your nomenclature. Next time I'm depressed I'll come and ask your for a spin on that bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful graphite CDA partial GS just received.

Drifting in slumber about the possibilities for a nice project. Mostly doing my head in, with the frame selection.

Extremely rare find, especially in this condition.

post-7990-079434800 1285868793.jpg

Here's my baby since 1987 or thereabouts, bought third-hand from a big ol' lesbian in Hillbrow.

The only "new bits" are: 1) wheels were replaced in about 1995 (Shimano RX100 hubs with Mavix rims); 2) the Token toe-clips in 2008; 3) new bar tape in 2009; 4) the BB,seat post (the wrong size was apparently fitted since original), and upper headset bearing this year.

Otherwise, she's still running her Sachs-Huret Eco derailleurs and Weinmann 500 brakes.

Since Olaf (you legend!)at Crosstown Cycles gave her the most complete top-to-bottom service, I've rediscovered what a sweet, sweeet, sweeeeeeet ride she is. Ab-so-lute-ly glorious.

post-14151-024311600 1285939752.jpg

post-14151-016378000 1285940107.jpg

post-14151-049094700 1285940138.jpg

post-14151-084550500 1285940194.jpg