Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Thanks Morpheus and DirtyFrank - she is a lovely ride, that's for sure! Did she originally have titanium forks too? I know I'm unnecessarily dubious, but those carbon things make me nervous. And I'm not too sold on Campy's noisy freehub; I like a silent bike, especially when I'm trying to listen for mechanical noises and clean gearchanges.

FC&P2C - nice Alan! Did you just clean her, or is she always that tidy?

And Velo, that Hetchins is awesome. Very unusual pre-Pinarello rear treatment. Any idea of the purpose behind it?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That ALAN is awsome. I rode 1 for many years. The first i got aged 16. Paid R300 for the frame. Brand New. Then 3 years later bought a complete one from one of the Italian Rapport tour riders. Full Camag Super Record. All cut out and engraved. Was awsome. Paid R1000

Gave it away a few years back for development cycling. Still breaks my heart.

My first one a mate of mine rode for years until the frame snapped in the 94.7 some years back. That one had full Dura Ace.

These were the ultimate bike in days gone by. If I'm not mistaken, first Aluminium bikes along with Vitas.

<P>Ok, so I am a Phillistine and a Visigoth. Forgive me. But I tell you if Contador had ridden one of these old pieces of sh*te in the tour, there is no way he would be in yellow. He would be in brown.</P>

Au Contraire young Harryn.

Based on what Contador was riding 'on' he could have used your tri-cycle.

Nubian :angry:

heres my latest..........

That sir is truly beautiful.

I do miss the road.

Did you redo that frame or is it mint paintwork?

And Velo, that Hetchins is awesome. Very unusual pre-Pinarello rear treatment. Any idea of the purpose behind it?

Thanks. My bike is a reproduction version, made in 1999, so the stays are purely cosmetic. The story the Hetchins brothers sold the public in the 50's and 60's was that the stays made for a much stiffer frame for sprinting. I read somewhere that the frames were indeed stiffer, but more likely the reason being that they used thicker walled tubes for the stays and not because of the bending.

Awesome Victoria by the way, nothing quite like a bare metal titanium frame. The noisy campy wheel can be silensed if you want. A tiny amount of greese on the pawls will do the trick, but carefull not to use too much.

Here is my Alan that I rode in 93/94. Blinged it with full Dura Ace 8 speed to very fine detail that includes DA hubs, qr's, chain. I think it was the first sti groupset released by shimano. The rollers on the jockey has ceramic bearings!!!

So glad I can share it here as my wife just doesnt get it!!!

Doing 94,7 this year on it. (Anything will be better than last year on a bmx

Fantastic bike. I also have one but mine is really flexy. I can change gears using frame flex alone :-)

Au Contraire young Harryn.

Based on what Contador was riding 'on' he could have used your tri-cycle.

Nubian :angry:

totally agree, so basically before carbon frames, no-one won the tour? hmmm love that logic!

So many really nice bikes coming up here.

The last two pages have been really good ones.

and yup, thats 'somec-else'. I want that in my mouth.

Heres my Hetchins Magnum Opus.

Oh my word!!! Not too many of those masterpieces around!

Monkeyboy-CT .... you have planted a seed, someone should really start a kind of a "swap meet". Almost like a "auto jumble" yard sale where everyone can show off their classic steeds and also do a bit of trading / swapping of retro bike stuff.

Check out these guys in Australia doing very cool stuff with Bicycles, motorcycles and surf etc.

http://www.deus.com.au/gallery/

Go to the "swapmeet" dropdown menue and check out their bicycle yard sales they have.

anyway...... just thinking aloud here, it would be great to see some of these bikes in the flesh! ;)

monkeyboy-CT: I hope thats a trailer.

... who wouldn't love THAT !! The paint work on her looks sweet.

Edited by HeartCoppi

Monkeyboy-CT .... you have planted a seed, someone should really start a kind of a "swap meet". Almost like a "auto jumble" yard sale where everyone can show off their classic steeds and also do a bit of trading / swapping of retro bike stuff.

Check out these guys in Australia doing very cool stuff with Bicycles, motorcycles and surf etc.

http://www.deus.com.au/gallery/

Go to the "swapmeet" dropdown menue and check out their bicycle yard sales they have.

anyway...... just thinking aloud here, it would be great to see some of these bikes in the flesh! ;)

Agreed, Fixer, especially about seeing the bikes in the flesh. (PS, the Campy pedals are doing well on the Victoria, thanks for them!)

We should try to get some "Retro Rides" together in our cities too. Take a whole bunch of the old bikes out on the road en masse and show the carbon pretenders what true machinery looks like.