The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

Hey guys.

Some news on the race at Tokai for next weekend.

The track is gonna start above the road-gap in the clearing just after the first little steep bit.

It's gonna go over the road-gap. down downhill 1. Over the road. Down downhill 2. Over that road into downhill 3/vasbyt.

At the 3rd jump the track splits. We will be using the one that runs closest to the road so none of the slow pedally section. Then it's gonna come off the road over a new jump in to the quarry section. Tiny uphill back on to the road. Then where the roots section is it's gonna go left over Vince's jump and in to the school. That bit of track still needs to be built. The fast guys will probably do the entire track in 4.30 5.00. That's a lot of fun for R150.

There's gonna be a build day tomorrow so if you want to help out a little we are meeting at the Tokai car park at 9 and going up in 2 bakkies. The new section of track needs to be built and there are other bits and pieces that need work. Sms me on 083 457-1923 or Vince on 083 448 1246 if you are gonna come help out.

I rode with Vince yesterday and he said that if there isn't a decent turnout he's not gonna bother with trying to organize a WP series. There's a LOT of effort that goes in to organizing and running these races and all you have to do to show your appreciation is to show up. Pay the R150 and get shuttled to the top of the track you wish you could shuttle every weekend. So come on guys. BE THERE. And tell all your buddies too.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the update YNH.

Just on that last note: i really hope everyone doesn't give up that quickly. Granted, I dont have ?the full background to previous attempts at a series, but from my perspective, it's not always possible to plan properly for races arranged on a near ad-hoc basis. If there were a calendar of events with mostly confirmed dates and venues, it becomes a lot easier.

As stated previously, I'm willing to contribute financially toward any series (hell, i would luv to win my contribution back smiley17.gif).

I'm thinking that if it's entrenched, people will come.

oh and advertising: i still think we need a push mechanism. Email and SMS are the best methods.

Overally, the marketing sucks a bit.

Testing testing 123. OMG it works.I'm typing this on my Blackberry.

Ja you are right.Just come and ride at the race.

Your participation ensures the ongoing survival

of our sport. Maybe we should use this hub thing

for anouncements of build days etc.

Blackberrys are the business.

Pft you know you want one. As for the fashion victim bit.

All my riding kit is red and black. My bike is all white.

Not a fashion victim. Fashion creator.

BBerry are the ****! Do you use the black Berry chat thing?

Stoked for the tokai race which section of DH 2 are they using

Using the old bit. Not one that has the drop off the road.

Hey here's a challenge. Dirt mag has a test track called the 1.04. Our 1.04 goes from the landing of the road gap down through downhill 2 (old version) and ends at the road. If you can do a 1.04 you are *** fast.

definitely in, as long as I can get decent practice in. work is fudging everything up. damn unit keeps tripping. ffs.

interesting bit ?of info an article at bikeradar about usage recommendations from RS themselves: applies to those suffering from AGNI.

Where should you ride it and when can you?

?This shock is going to be downhill capable, definitely for freeride,? said Boobar. ?I think it would be silly not to put it on every freeride bike out there.? But Vivid Air isn?t for everyone. It?s a high-end shock that requires regular maintenance, like the Boxxer World Cup.

So, if you?re all you're doing is hammering out runs in a bike park, RockShox will tell you outright that you should be on coils front and rear. That way you don?t have to worry about maintaining the spring.

If you?re looking for performance, however, Vivid Air is at the top of the RockShox pile. Pair it with the Boxxer WC and you?re guaranteed to pull massive weight off of your bike. Vivid Air will hit shops in late summer. It should be available sooner on select manufacturers' 2011 bikes.

Rest of article

some specifications:

What's New

* New Solo Air Spring

* Hot Rod Thermal Compensating Adjuster Rod for Fade Free Performance

Features/Benefits

* True DH performance in an air shock

* Over 400g lighter than Vivid coil!

* New Solo Air system for super supple performance

External adjustment for:

* Beginning stroke rebound

* Ending stroke rebound

* Low speed compression

* Spring rate (via air pressure)

* Hot Rod thermal compensation

Things to Remember

* Bona fide DH performance in an air shock

* Hot Rod Thermal Compensating Adjuster Rod

* Lighter, cheaper and more adjustable than Ti

Configurations 240 x 76 (9.5 x 3.0), 229 x 70 mm (9.0 x 2.75 in), 222 x 70 (8.75 x 2.75), 216 x 63.5 (8.5 x 2.5), 200 x 57 (7.875 x 2.25)

Spring Solo Air

Spring Adjust Air pressure via single Schrader valve

Shaft Material 7075 Aluminum

Shaft Diameter 12.7mm

Body Material Forged Aluminum

Body Finish Hard Anodized

Vince, Christo and myself did some track maintenance this

morning in Tokai on the race track.

Why is it that the only 3 people doing track maintenance are 2

40 somthings and a dude in his late 30's?

Anyways. We sorted out the berm into the lower rock garden on downhill 2

And one lower down so people don't fly off the track and land on the road

There's also a jump in to the quarry and a step up out of it

Gonna be sick.

The race is gonna be such fun. Come on guys. Make sure you race.

After the race I'm gonna post up any build and maintenance days well in advance

So hopefully we get more guys pulling in and helping

The cool thing about doing the work is that you get to make the track suit you.

hey old guy, soz for not pitching. But as I mentioned earlier, we had issues at the plant. Unit 2 synchronized at 2h00 this morning, and then we had to hang around till the unit reached 30% before support shifts ended. So i'm a bit hammered and really not lus for manual labor smiley2.gif

but if them bar stewards dont force another call out tomorrow, i will be able to inspect your handiworx and report back

smiley17.gif

definitely in' date=' as long as I can get decent practice in. work is fudging everything up. damn unit keeps tripping. ffs.

[/quote']

Murray and I are riding monday, wednesday and thursday next week if youd like to join? we also going at 9 tomorrow?smiley1.gif

no promises, but would luv to be there. shifts ended today, but unit not yet at 100% power. always makes me nervous. damn old goat.