The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

Cool. Then I'm just gonna stick with the Kenda's. They're at least freely availble.

I know Matt Smith (one of the top Sub Vet DHers in SA) has a certain Kenda tyre that he says are the bomb. I can't remember the model though. He said they're hard to find in SA. Maybe it was the Excavators?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run Kenda Blue Grooves on my DH bike. I find that in general the Kendas are bigger than other brands with tyres 'the same size'.

My blue groove 2.5s are slightly bigger than Maxxis Minion 2.7's.

But yeah, In general, I'm pretty impressed. I haven't ridden many "DH tyres"... just Minions, High Rollers and Blue Grooves... and I gotta say that I prefer the Blue Grooves to the High Rollers... undecided on the comparison with the Minions though.

Mr Patches: any time you keen on trying soething different tyre-wise, go give them schwalbe Muddy Mary's a try. You will not regret it. Similarly, up for a spiked tyred that rolls as well as a minion, get the Dirty Dan. Waaaaaaaaaaay better IMHO of course, than a wet scream

Mr Patches: any time you keen on trying soething different tyre-wise, go give them schwalbe Muddy Mary's a try. You will not regret it. Similarly, up for a spiked tyred that rolls as well as a minion, get the Dirty Dan. Waaaaaaaaaaay better IMHO of course, than a wet scream

Yeah, I kow Mr Daft Vader runs some form of Schwalbe on that fancy Yeti of his... oh yeah! they're Wicked Wills... have you tried those Mr Cap?

Ooh, look what I just noticed...

This pic was posted June last year. It's a pic from Sea Otter.

20100601_045235_normal_89422970.jpg

look at the fork on the bike on the right... Notice anything particularly goldy about them stanchions?

Seems Yeti was trying out the Kashima coating Fox 40s back then already. Although, I wonder why the other team bike doesn't have them?!

Ooh, look what I just noticed...

This pic was posted June last year. It's a pic from Sea Otter.

20100601_045235_normal_89422970.jpg

look at the fork on the bike on the right... Notice anything particularly goldy about them stanchions?

Seems Yeti was trying out the Kashima coating Fox 40s back then already. Although, I wonder why the other team bike doesn't have them?!

Yummy. My 2012 Fox Float 36 with the Kashima coating is on it's way to me! Can't wait! :clap:

Yummy. My 2012 Fox Float 36 with the Kashima coating is on it's way to me! Can't wait! :clap:

very nice banna! Very nice indeed!

...I don't suppose you ordered a Fox 831 fork for me, while you were at it? :lol:

Yeah, I kow Mr Daft Vader runs some form of Schwalbe on that fancy Yeti of his... oh yeah! they're Wicked Wills... have you tried those Mr Cap?

Nope. I prefer a do it all type of tire like the MM. The WWs do roll faster, but they more suited to very dry, hard conditions. Down here, the during summer the tracks turn into dust, so a high profile knob gets better traction. So minions or MMs are sure bets.

very nice banna! Very nice indeed!

...I don't suppose you ordered a Fox 831 fork for me, while you were at it? :lol:

Er, sorry boet... I am actually being chased by the bank manager (...on his stupid little xc bike) as we speak...

Looks as if it's gonna have to be wetscreams for me...did a quick walk-by some bike shops in Buenos Aires this morning (uptown stores with top end bikes) and all I got was the usual blank stares, followed by the usual "de donde sos?" (where are you from) and the inevitable "porque no te negro?" (why are you not black?) when I told then I'm from South Africa...never a dull day in South America...So back to the tires, Schwalbe is South America is a Hell no...can look more but the further downtown you go the less likely you are to find what your looking for ,and I don't have the time to explore the outer city suburbia's where their is a slim chance I might find some but will probably have to swap a kidney for one as they will be priced out of the stratosphere...MAXXIS it is, easy to find, and WAY cheaper here than from Chainreaction!

Guest Omega Man

I would just like to say that in 17 sleeps (that's if I can sleep) Myself and a group of about 14 Saffa's are going to Morzine.

WWWWOOOOPP WWWWOOOOPP WWWWOOOOPP WWWWOOOOPP!!

I would just like to say that in 17 sleeps (that's if I can sleep) Myself and a group of about 14 Saffa's are going to Morzine.

I would like to add the usual (and oft-said phrase of a random, trail building saturday afternoon)

FOOK YU! Me hope you catch long time dirty dirty snippy crabbie!

Dude - seriously, enjoy it. I am seriously jealous.

Ja, if I could only ride Maxxis I would, but it's real difficult in Cape Town area to get something like the 2.35 High Rollers. No one keeps them? I've seen the bigger 2.5's, but they're just too bulky for my bike.

Action Cycles in the CBD have nice volume Maxxis tyres

Action Cycles in the CBD have nice volume Maxxis tyres

Cool thx. Will pay them a visit.

AWESOME Duane :clap:

How long you gonna be there?

Bring back lots of footage.

And remember that the fences are electrified and really close at the bottom of the bikeparks. Just ask Andries...he overshot a Tabletop and then crashed into a fence and well he was shocked...xcuse the pun :)

Wish I could have joined...hopefully next time?

And have fun

Edited by Flat_0ut