The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a bit of mist actually, but it was mostly the fact that the light was quiet ****.

What do you mean by no goose for you?

Yo Cap. My pleasure!!!

Rode "your" track last week and totally loved it! After my first run i found your building tools, and after thinking about it, added the small berm and fixed up the little drop off! Hope its cool! Would of lugged some of those rocks around for you , but wasnt sure what your plan was there.... You building a berm into the drop off/ unfinished route... or a jump continuing into the straightway section where the little drop is? Think it would be cool if there was more flowy sections! Next time im there, will look into a possible route after the unridden drop is... linking back onto your current trail b4 SH3... Hard to explain, im sure you understand tho!

I bailed pretty hard on my 2nd run! Ate gravel on the "road gap" between SH2 and SH3!!! Bottomed out on the fire road and went straight into a tree! Survived tho! Both the bike and me had some scrapes but all was good!

Whats your plan on SH1? Couldnt find any signs of a route there, instead just followed the Fire road round signal hill till i got to the SH2 section... Pretty fast on the top bit! Reached 50km there, but sketched out cos theres a pretty HUUGE and scary drop off to the left!

Also really like the hump to drop b4 the end of SH3 pretty scary when hitting it hard, as you cant see your landing at all and just gotta pray you get the right line!

All in all, a worthwhile peace of trail development! Well done on the initiative! Look forward to riding/ and Building there soon!

small sponsor? lulz ;)

and loveme! omw thanks! but you like a living humanoid, or some figment of this forums imagination. when we gonna meet so i can pinch and stab u with my pickaxe to see if u bleed. :P

yeah, that little drop off work was a gem. made it much better to hit. Your little berm has made that off camber completely easy to ride harder. :) Muchos gracias!

Yo Cap. My pleasure!!!

Rode "your" track last week and totally loved it! After my first run i found your building tools, and after thinking about it, added the small berm and fixed up the little drop off! Hope its cool! Would of lugged some of those rocks around for you , but wasnt sure what your plan was there.... You building a berm into the drop off/ unfinished route... or a jump continuing into the straightway section where the little drop is?

Thanks for not moving the fruits of my rockmining operations :P it was assbreaking finding and moving those rocks. But, they've been put to use as u will see in the next few pics :).

Think it would be cool if there was more flowy sections! Next time im there, will look into a possible route after the unridden drop is... linking back onto your current trail b4 SH3... Hard to explain, im sure you understand tho!

Yes i totally agree. that straight line stuff is dull after a while. good for a cheap thrill, but ultimately one dimensional, hence me starting off with making things a bit more technical with some drop offs. Next up after that small rock garden is making it bigger, followed by a nice sizable jump. So keep your eyes peeled :)

I bailed pretty hard on my 2nd run! Ate gravel on the "road gap" between SH2 and SH3!!! Bottomed out on the fire road and went straight into a tree! Survived tho! Both the bike and me had some scrapes but all was good!

you took that jump heading into the trees? you nuts? hahaha good man! but i meant that 'jump' more as a levelling off device so u can land on two wheels instead of rocketing nose first at mach 10 into the fire road as happened with me. I actually bottomed out my marzo on that sectoin before i built that slight ramp. I need to work on that area more. in fact,my plan is build a northshore style ladder track as a proper means to gap that road, but then two things need to happen: parks boards must gimme the ok, and i need to move some trees, cos as you know, you come into that area with sick speed. I find it very hard to brake as the loam just causes the bike to slide toward the lip. I'm pretty sure you can hit 50-60kph in the run down from the rock garden.

Whats your plan on SH1? Couldnt find any signs of a route there, instead just followed the Fire road round signal hill till i got to the SH2 section... Pretty fast on the top bit! Reached 50km there, but sketched out cos theres a pretty HUUGE and scary drop off to the left!

Yep, the fire road that starts on the tar road near the very top of SH makes for some super speedy runs. I lost my speedometer, so i dont know what speeds i've hit. But if you bail there, you gonna feel it. for a very long time. Some nasty ass rocks lying everywhere. But, the plan with SH1 was to start from where teh fire road starts at the tar road, or just slightly further down from that start, and then snake toward the start of SH2. If u at the top of SH2, u can see behind you there is a nice little drop in point. If possible, one coudl gap it, but that would mean a whole new start point for SH2 as you will hit that gap with mach numbers trailing behind you. SH1 is super steep. I've walked it, and it was hard going up as well as coming down. But it has simply delicious options. BUt will leave SH1 from my dreams as SH2 needs a lot of TLC... oi.

Also really like the hump to drop b4 the end of SH3 pretty scary when hitting it hard, as you cant see your landing at all and just gotta pray you get the right line!

Yep, that little ramp to nothingness is pretty damn awesome :) but someone has to fix that 'berm' at the bottom. it's crap tbh. It's not a bend, it's a damn hairpin. Great for scrubbing tires on, but that's about it. You lose a lot of speed. I tend to ride off trail on the left, then cut across teh apex. No tire scrub, lose less speed. overally better line.

All in all, a worthwhile peace of trail development! Well done on the initiative! Look forward to riding/ and Building there soon!

Thanks dude for assisting. I was super stoked at the individual contribution :P

I wanted a drop off just one exits a corner. So I started building one.

post-6789-060154000 1280081257.jpgpost-6789-004498900 1280081260.jpg

Finally finished it off today. Tossed in the rocks, and then covered it up with soil.

This is loveme's work (props bud! :D):

post-6789-087184800 1280081323.jpg

Then looking at the new step down from his berm:

post-6789-017964700 1280081320.jpg

Some other views:

post-6789-014080200 1280081322.jpg

post-6789-074450500 1280081329.jpg

If you look at the first pic, to the right, the track runs off to a drop. more on that in a bit. but that area immediately to the right of the stepdown is meant to have a mini step down as a quasi chicken run. The whole point of the step down at that point was to prevent soil erosion flowy down into the rest of the track, and generally to minimize the damage to the terrain. I knwo the manmade structure is almost contradictory to that aim, but i think there is a better balance now with manmade structures that limits the erosion potential, whilst providing some fun for the riders.

A riding mate suggested i plank the top up as well. thoughts?

Loveme: you know the track u suggesting starting from that drop to deadend? well, my ridign mate got shovel in hand and went to work. In this pic, you can just about make out how the track follows on from that drop and goes around.

post-6789-083379200 1280081327.jpg

Linking to the above work, I've marked out a nice flowy line with every turn/switchback an off camber (good for training! berms sometimes make things too easy!). This track i've marked out, will not hook up with SH2 or SH3. It snakes off on it's own, and u gonna love what it's going to make you do. I promise! :)But first, more ass breaking work coming up :(

its not my track...

connections at Audi? u reckon they could sponsor you? hehehehe. I dunno hey. never seen teh four rings at 2 wheeled event. BMW might be a better bet..

Hey Cap! I know I know... Im the invisible monster.. hehe. Im only riding a Giant AC, 160mm rotors.. will be looking for a DH rig soon tho, so the road gap bottoms me out hard!

Will try get out to the trails soon, pm me for your number, ill give you an sms! I usually go during work hours tho.. sneaky missions.

Why cant the route youve outlined link back up with SH2? Would be sick. And as for SH1 super steep means a nice 2 or 3 hard berms snaking down the face!!!

i mostly ride/work weekends, and during the week, its' all after 5 :( rush to beat the sunset.. meh.

The route will initially hook back up to SH2 just before the log stepdown, but it's hardly something exciting: u carry on straight across from your berm, huck the drop, hit a bit of an incline and hook a very hard right. then carry on till u hook up back with SH2 just before log drop as i mentioned previously.

But, to make things abit more interesting, the track will veer off the left, with some wall rides following what seems like a manmade aqueduct/ravine that runs almost parallel with SH2. should be great fun. That track will also cross the fireroad, and then down into that ravine, more wallrides and eventually hook with the last bit of the urban assault course just before the tree house. Lotsa options, but it needs to be thought out properly to make for a decent length run, otherwise it's just tracks all over the place and a lot of wasted energy. The hill is not very high, so how we use the gravity needs to be considered properly otherwise the fun is over too quickly:(

Hi there DHK.

I have a 240mm Manitou Swinger 6 way. Its 2nd hand, but perfect condition. Want R1000 for it. You will just need to get the right size reducers from Cycles Africa for your Giant. It came off a Morewood Izimu. BTW, even if you are looking at a DHX 5.0, a 240mm will still fit your Giant

SA bike deal I'm keen on that rear shock!

hey guys i need some advise my budy has a 04/05 Giant dh team he wants to sell

8" shiver,

x7 shifter derailer,

husslfelt cranks(new) truvative chainguide,

Avid Jucy3's new

Mavic wheels cant remember what exactly

azonic bars

Nice flat pedals

what do you think is a good price????

post-3970-066229000 1280837840.jpg