The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

Just come back from a muddy, cold, rainy Eden. Gnarly in the wet, took a tumble, but ended with great 3 jumps in a section we found today.

Great, bike is all clean now ready for another session, but sadly only next weekend. :angry:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LDF: did u move the black bag with the tools in it? I couldnt find it. I'm having a sinking feeling it was nabbed.

hope u ok stryder, and yeah, it was pretty wet out there.

Just came back.

• patched up the 2nd berm down at SH3 by extending it abit further down the track. If u hit that berm fast, you realize very quickly the berm changes to a flat turn which can cause your front wheel to wash out. It hurts faceplanting in that area as it's littered with loose rocks. So shored up the berm further down to give that front wheel some more purchase.
  • fixed the two berms at the top of SH2. The first one's entry point was a bit off camber, and mid way thru the berm, the soil had run off. Patched it. On the second berm, i moved the entry point somewhat further up the track, and recessed the floor a bit to make the berm higher. Stamped it down as best I could. Coming in with higher speed will be a bit easier (which begs more speed making it uneasier again :P ) and u shouldn't get your front wheel jammed up making u go OTB. meh.

Looking down from top of SH2: first berm and on the top right, the second berm (LDF's berm! :) )
    post-6789-068240500 1283011110.jpg

better angle on LDF's berm:
    post-6789-097526700 1283011107.jpg

• did some rockfarming and added rocks at the base of the skijump/logdrop so those who want to start going off ski jumps can roll over it now until you ready to go flying off it. NB: that ski-jump/logdrop is gonna get higher.

post-6789-000504500 1283011087.jpg

• The remainder of the rocks from the rockfarming efforts above were meant for the rockgarden, but the rocks were all higher up so i just left the ones i didnt use on the skijump, on the side of the track for some kind soul to 'grow' the rockgarden lower down.
  • LDF: i spade-raked a potential entry point into your section. Let me know what u think. It will have more flow and give u that snakey pattern u want for a track. It will still cross the rockgarden, so you can't completely miss the gnar ;)
  • Added a tiny stepdown at the top of SH3 to help prevent erosion into the berms on SH3. Soz, no pics. it's too tiny :P

Matti Lehikoinen's crash sequence. i hope htis boy is unscathed. he just has incredibly bad luck with a broken body parts in just about every other year.

post-6789-042593100 1283016636.jpg

post-6789-074713000 1283016637.jpg

post-6789-097330800 1283016638.jpg

post-6789-041836000 1283016640.jpg

**** dude i have a bad feeling about your tools! When i looked for them the other day i presumed you had moved them! Bad thing is i saw a black bag floating around at the bottom of SH3.... Sometimes you just gotta hate the state of the nation....

I guess we should do a team effort and all chip in for some new tools. Well i guess me and Mikes!

What went missing?

On a lighter note, Had a run at signals too this afternoon, hoped to meet you there! but got there at 530 only and managed to put in 2 runs!

Your work looks sweet, nice to see the berms looking really really great! good work!

I saw what you did by the rock garden! Mikes saw a potential line leading to that section left of the rockgarden, straight after the little drop. Cleaned it up gave it a go pretty slow bit could work! I so badly want to do that gap!!!

to the muthfcker that stole our tools. GO F yourself! :angry:

cross-cut saw, multitool (crowbar, hammer, pick axe tripleshockcombo), 6-pound hammer, various sizes of nails, hacksaw, machete.

I'll go buy it all again tomorrow. ffs! :angry:

i left the hill just before 17h00! so we just missed each other. I had parked at the parking space near the ranger's residence, and walked to and fro from the track.

So you rode the track after i worked on it. Feedback please! i normally work and then ride to test, but I didnt take my bike with. How are the berms now? and the skijump/logdrop> i hope you rolled it to see how the rock structure holds up. man, it was backbreaking hauling those rocks around.

btw: in that wooded area near the skijump (left side if u facing up toward the skijump), lotsa bigass rocks to be found, but some u have to dig up. It's all compressed sandstone, so handle with care as they do break up into literally slivers of pancake like pieces.

When I drove back down, i saw the area around lions head has proper granite rocks. got me thinking, but that's just nuts! :P

it will be slow thru that section cos you need to remove some trees. Will sort that out as i see all those trees in that section are alien species. I wont remove all, just enough, and we can recycle those trees as well (they hardly trees though: more like saplings).

So I propose the following route: u will come off that little stepdown/hip that follows the ski-jump, go straight into the wooded area instead of turning immediately left. Take a nice big left turn, and head straight into your section. U gonna have to berm up that corner otherwise u gonna spill off too much speed as u have to slam on the anchors if u want to make that turn, and have a not-so-nice try at clearing that gap. You gonna need a lawyer: that's how big a case you gonna have if u dont have enough speed :P

Cap Im really bumbed about the tools! man! ku*ts!

Track is really coming along all the berm were solid, felt really confident in them today, even in the wet!

Ski jump is cool! Its my fav on the whole course.

You guys are really rocking with that SH track. Gotta have a look and lend a hand some time. Will try twist a mates arm to come along. I am really keen to have a ride down SH.

stryder: come tomrrow. i'm gonna session the track to see if what i did today is working or not. If you going down the right hand side, DO NOT go slow thru that rock garden ;)

Cap: I would love to tomorrow, but we have people coming round. I will try to make a plan for next weekend though, either Sat or Sun.

That run looks so tempting

LDF: u know where most of the decent rocks are? its in that wall running down the length of SH2 :P

also, i've mentioned this before, but with tat wall of rocks close at hand, it might be a good idea (as per that guide on track building), to rock-armour the chute at SH2b. btw: that corner down there is a harsh g-out at speed. It always feels like i'm gonna get bucked OTB. Need to keep my weight back and dig that rear wheel into the berm.

omw, that track is sweet! you right LDF: that track is coming along just oh-so-nicely :D Those berms are really nice now, I see what you mean :) That rockgarden gave me a bit of a fright today, cos I had sort of slipped a pedal coming off the hip, and was trying to slow down, but the bike committed on my behalf.. So i went thru it alot slower that i'm comfortable with. I was expecting a bail.. ;) but damn, that was SWEEET!

btw: u know that slight chicane just down of the rockgarden, before u go completely straight to the fireroad? what u think about pronouncing that chicane a bit more with some slashable berms for a nice highspeed zigzag? lemme know. That spot's been cooking my noodle for a while now.

damn, pity it's sundown. i woulda stayed up there for another session.