Do you lower your seatpost?

NotSoBigBen

Do you lower your seatpost when you get to a tricky steep downhill?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you lower your seatpost when you get to a tricky steep downhill?

• Yes always
    • Only if it's a long downhill
    • Can't be bothered to have to lift it again
    • I got a Janis Joplin type so no problem!

Snippety snip...

Everytime I drop it I have to figure it out again.

snip Snippety

Now thats a good reason for one of these new seat posts, it returns to your original setting without you trying to remember which line you drew is the right line...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Snippety snip...

Everytime I drop it I have to figure it out again.

snip Snippety

Now thats a good reason for one of these new seat posts' date=' it returns to your original setting without you trying to remember which line you drew is the right line...

[/quote']

yep, as I said "joplin" for sale in the classifieds section Wink

Naaah come on! you only need to lower the post If youre really wanting the style the jumps' date=' then the saddle might get in the way, or fair enough If you have flats the bike wil drop away If you done "pump it".

It takes me Years to figure out which saddle height? is correct, I have so many lines on my seatpost by now, Everytime I drop it I have to figure it out again.

?

But In short no. I klap all the lines and the jumps at the bottom of tokai with seatpost up, stem upside down, No peak on my helmet and Full LycraBig%20smile
[/quote'] Don't give the roadies any fashion ideas... you've at least got the go to match the (dodgy lycra) show. Full lycra and fistfuls of brakes down fire road descents do not a MTBer make smiley2.gif

?

?

WHAT ? I diddnt get that cuz ?

my bike dont have brakes, just 5' and a recless driver

Fo' sho...

The brakes bit clearly had f'all to do with you guy, I was knocking your lycra fetish not your riding. The rest was more about the nervous looking folk that pootle down the Tokai fire roads on 25k bikes on a Sunday morning, brakes howling all the way... no seat droppage needed there smiley36.gif

If its a long downhill singletrack, always lower the seat, but mostly because I ride a merida XC bike. If its only a short bit then I'll just ride it out carefully. Sometimes the shorts snag when you bring yourself back to an upright riding position.

That being said my usual ride is Tokai so its saddle up going up, saddle all the way down going down. The legs ache by the time I get to the bottom but thats just extra strength training right?

?

Joplin? Is that the same as Crank Brothers?

?

?

Crank Bros Joplin, that's the one... also KS Cobra i900, USE Gravity Dropper and RASE Rapid Adjust.

One day when if I grow up...

Automatic dropping seatpost? Extra weight, something else I'll break, and money I would rather spend on something else. Plus it takes less than 10 seconds to drop it and gives you a chance to stretch your legs after your climb :)

Naaah come on! you only need to lower the post If youre really wanting the style the jumps' date=' then the saddle might get in the way, or fair enough If you have flats the bike wil drop away If you done "pump it".

It takes me Years to figure out which saddle height  is correct, I have so many lines on my seatpost by now, Everytime I drop it I have to figure it out again.

But In short no. I klap all the lines and the jumps at the bottom of tokai with seatpost up, stem upside down, No peak on my helmet and Full LycraBig%20smile
[/quote'] Don't give the roadies any fashion ideas... you've at least got the go to match the (dodgy lycra) show. Full lycra and fistfuls of brakes down fire road descents do not a MTBer make smiley2.gif

WHAT ? I diddnt get that cuz ?

my bike dont have brakes, just 5' and a recless driver

Fo' sho...

The brakes bit clearly had f'all to do with you guy, I was knocking your lycra fetish not your riding. The rest was more about the nervous looking folk that pootle down the Tokai fire roads on 25k bikes on a Sunday morning, brakes howling all the way... no seat droppage needed there smiley36.gif

Oh.. Big%20smile

I know which youre talking about.. the ones that come pacing by asif its hardcore going down a f*king dirtroad on a mountainbike.. haha

Man, half the time Im so far back on that blur of mine the seat is closer to my tits than my legs.. now try that without the Lycra, you might come un done... lycra is like a good hammer, If it works you stop noticing its there, Its a extention of your hand.. comon bru, like design they taught us.. the padding on the short stays in place etc..

Im almost done with my hardtail.. weight weeny one. I hope I can still ride downhill with it, something tells me Im going to come pipe a milion times before learning that 85mm up front and Foggol at the back aint going to make those BB high rocks and routes disapearCry
Bos2009-08-13 07:56:34

to answer your question' date=' no, there's something rewarding about making down a descent with you tummy on the saddle[/quote']

I remember riding a trail once....relentlessly steep....saddle dropped to within a few centimeters of the collar....leaning so far back the saddle left my chest slightly bruised from banging on it over the drops....trail was called JAWS....some trails don't give you a choice

to answer your question' date=' no, there's something rewarding about making down a descent with you tummy on the saddle[/quote']

I remember riding a trail once....relentlessly steep....saddle dropped to within a few centimeters of the collar....leaning so far back the saddle left my chest slightly bruised from banging on it over the drops....trail was called JAWS....some trails don't give you a choice

Take me to your leader son... where is this Jaws..?

Joplin? Is that the same as Crank Brothers?

oh yeah it is the crank brother

Thumbs%20Up

Take me to your leader son... where is this Jaws..?

In a land far far away

Sounds like a lot of work in a race to keep stopping to adjust your seat before a technical downhill. My seat stays where it is and I just go for it. Seat only drops when I load them on the Thule to miss the other bikes Levers.

Not in races, but when I'm hitting the hills in Tokai (or any other ST descent) it makes it a lot easier to move around on my predominantly sc-oriented biciclet.

It's a lot better than sitting up on a perch, and I find that the saddle gets in the way if it's up in it's normal place.

My rule is: Up for up, down for down. And when I have enough cash, I'll be getting myself a Joplin. Makes a helluva difference.

cptmayhem2009-08-13 13:39:09