TUBELESS for Dummies...please help

slowtwitch

A mate of mine bought a second hand MTB and found out there's funny looking tyres on (XT tubeless).

I know tubbies well and clinchers, but can someone just give me a quick rundown on tubeless i.e. repairs, emergency repairs, rims only to be used for tubeless, etc?

I assume they work like car wheels with the tyre sealing against the rim. Is this correct? why use them

take a browse through www.notubes.com

It's a great system, and it's halfway between tubbies and clinchers!

Do a search on this here website....

THEN GOOGLE...THEN get a six pack of frosties and settle in for 4-6 hours of reading...

Once done, you'll be converted and will never look back again!!

Good luck!!

ok sofar I know they are the best (for what?), and a tube can be used when you flat in the bush

But what are they...race-only wheels, training wheels, what?

As I said it's for a mate, and don't want to spend hours searching the net (or the hub)

I am the dummy and know not ting about mtb

For most they are all purpose, training and racing. Tubeless tyres however cost more than standard beaded or foldables. So training comes at a greater cost than on non-tubeless tyres.

firstly, "training wheels" are only found on toddlers bikes.

Tubeless tyres = Tyres with reinforced walls, and bead.
Tubeless rims = Rims with spoke holes covered
Combined they will hold air

Tubless kits = Kits to convert normal rims/tyres to hold air,
usually with a rim strip (to convert the rim) and sealant (to assist the tyre)

You get tubeless rims that have the spoke holes already covered and normal rims that you cover the holes with rim strip. You can then either put on normal tyre or a UST (tubeless) tyre of your choice. The latter is heavier but the sidewalls are thicker to protect against slashes. You then fill these with some sealant to plug the holes when, not if, you get punctures. When the hole is too big you need to pour out the sealant, take out the valve and fit a tube. You can use these setups for anything from casual riding and trails to full on racing.

ok, tubeless is a rim that seales against the tire. There is a special valve fitted in the rin hole. You fillthe tire with 3 cups of stans, and pump it hard. If you get a puncture, the juice inside got little rubber pieces and the pressure on the inside of the tire push that towards the puncture hole. This than clot ? together and the juice seel the hole.

Every 3 months to top up the juice

Is this the info you need?

Sounds very technical, but then again these are the cutting edge tech wheels right now in cycling, not so?

Yes this is the info I need 

Just to confirm, you can use a clincher tyre on a XT tubless rim if you would rather just use the bike for easy rid'n

Thanx for the input so far, anything els he needs to know?

recommended : tubeless tires on tubeless rims.

if you use a non tubeless tire (lighter tire) , you can use it on a tubeless rim as if it is a tubeless tire, but, it may loose air and you will pump every 2 to 3 days.

but, its lighter and more prone for punctures or cuts, the sidewalls is thinner.

if you use a non tubeless tire (lighter tire) ' date=' you can use it on a tubeless rim as if it is a tubeless tire, but, it may loose air and you will pump every 2 to 3 days.

[/quote']

No you dont. I use normal tyres on normal rims with a homemade tubeless converstion and it doesnt loose pressure any quicker that ust rim/tyre combinations.

I ride non-tubeless rims with the rim tape which works just fine and is cheaper then the tubless rims. My front tyre is a tubless UST tyre that gives me no problems at all even when you can see the thorn stuck in it. On the back I just have a light weight standard tyre, only issue is that it looses about 50Kpa after 3 hours riding. Not a biggy to me so not worried about it. Oh and I use Joes sealent

On the back I just have a light weight standard tyre' date=' only issue is that it looses about 50Kpa after 3 hours riding. Not a biggy to me so not worried about it. Oh and I use Joes sealent[/quote']

Try using a decent sealant and it will sort your rear wheel. I used sludge/ tyre fluid and some other cheap sealnt before and they all sealed the normal tyre 100%. Always had trouble sealing the tyre with joes and stans.

On the back I just have a light weight standard tyre' date=' only issue is that it looses about 50Kpa after 3 hours riding. Not a biggy to me so not worried about it. Oh and I use Joes sealent[/quote']

Try using a decent sealant and it will sort your rear wheel. I used sludge/ tyre fluid and some other cheap sealnt before and they all sealed the normal tyre 100%. Always had trouble sealing the tyre with joes and stans.

What would you recommend? Such as what is this slime you talking about