Can I change brakes on a road bike?

Lori

I have an old model Alpina bike im trying to sell. Its got the gears on the side of the bike (sorry dont have technical terms) and the brakes are where they normally are on a road bike.

The person im selling the bike to wants to change the brakes to a MTB brake position ie on the top of the handle bar.

Is this possible?

Can I do it myself?

Can I just move the existing brakes to the top of the bar or do i have to put on MTB brake levers?

Tyring to do this as cheap as possible so not looking for top quality parts.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

If the buyer wants to make changes to your bike, then they should do it themselves. All you should be doing is holding out your hand for the cash.

Make sure you sell this bike to someone who appreciates your bike.

They are quite lovely. Is it in good condition? 

Is there a tubing decal on the bike?

What is the size of the frame?

Please post a pic.

Perhaps you could engage a less problematic buyer.

What is your price?

If the buyer wants to make changes to your bike' date=' then they should do it themselves. All you should be doing is holding out your hand for the cash.

Make sure you sell this bike to someone who appreciates your bike.

They are quite lovely. Is it in good condition? 

Is there a tubing decal on the bike?

What is the size of the frame?

Please post a pic.

Perhaps you could engage a less problematic buyer.

What is your price?
[/quote']

What he said +

road bike crosstop levers and MTB brake levers are completely different and you'll need to consider hydraulics or cable

mpcombrink2009-08-16 23:07:45

They are dping it themselves, its just I I got a quote to do it and was told x amount, the buyer got a quote and it came to 6k, if you spending 6k on changing the break levers you may as well be buying a new bike!

I just wanted to know if it was possible, and it is possible, and i didnt do it myself and I sold the bik - but thank for the info and interest, ive been trying to sell it for about 5 months now so I was glad to get rid of it!

They are dping it themselves' date=' its just I I got a quote to do it and was told x amount, the buyer got a quote and it came to 6k, if you spending 6k on changing the break levers you may as well be buying a new bike!

?

I just wanted to know if it was possible, and it is possible, and i didnt do it myself and I sold the bik - but thank for the info and interest, ive been trying to sell it for about 5 months now so I was glad to get rid of it!
[/quote']

Tell your buyer to find a new LBS, or stop talking such pooh.

Of course you can change to MTB style brakes. You need to get cable specific brake levers like the Avid FR-5. These have a linear pull that suits road calipers.

Then you will need some MTB bars and grips and off you go.

I doubt some Tektro brake lever will even be R130. Then you will proberbly need new cables and housing for R40, new MTB bars and grips.

[

Tell your buyer to find a new LBS' date= or stop talking such pooh.[/quote]

Whats  a LBS?

Local Bottle Store....ooops sorry Local Bike Shop....i need a drinkSmile

Of course you can change to MTB style brakes. You need to get cable specific brake levers like the Avid FR-5. These have a linear pull that suits road calipers.

Then you will need some MTB bars and grips and off you go.

What Velo said

I got MTB break lever R 45, MTB bar R 50, grips R20 some cable and the labour all in for R210. im not riding the bike so i dont mind and the buyer paid for it.  She got an okish bike at an okish price and I got back the money i spent on the bike in the 1st place which i couldnt even ride cos it was a 58cm, so win win for all :)

you will need another handle bar and MTB leavers. Find another buyer to take your bike as is other wise it is going to cost you money.

Can someone please explain why ypou have to put mtb style bars to complete this project?  If the diqameter is right, why can't you just slap the mtb style brake levers to the top straight bit of the road bar?